Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Colorado holy cross early rifle tag.

Time is going fast!! In a couple weeks I will be hiking In for a week in the high country!!!! Was unable to make a scouting trip. I have a place to start and a couple back up spots. Only scouting was maps and google earth. I have talked to a person who has hunted it in the past. He assures me I am on the right path. He was able to take a very good one on his past trip. He doesn't predict lots of deer but assures me if I put in the time I will see deer worthy of a week in the high country. I can't say if I don't get an oppertunity I won't be disappointed. Have worked hard on a lot of trips both with friends and myself. I haven't harvested a trophy yet, but I have always had the time of my life!!! Hope the hard work and maybe a little good luck will bless me on this trip. Not that I'm not already blessed with the oppertunity. Maybe I just need to keep things in perspective I guess. Good luck everyone in the season that lies ahead, and stay safe!

Thanks
    very good post i wish there were more hunters like u insted of ranting on size of horn, its all about the experience guys calm down

Thanks
    Great post, and good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    very good post i wish there were more hunters like u insted of ranting on size of horn, its all about the experience guys calm down
    You are 100% correct. It may be hard for some of you younger guys to understand, but as you get older your prospective on hunting/fishing and life in general goes thru a subtle change. When I was young (I'll say 20's thru 40's), I really didn't think a trip was successful unless I kicked ass and got the most and biggest of anybody. I'm now 70 and my values and expectations have changed a lot. I've done most of it over the years, now just being out hunting/fishing with friends and having a good time means more than filling my freezer. I love sitting in a goose blind with my Lab watching the sun come up...geese or no geese!

Don't get me wrong tho, I'd whack the biggest buck or bull on the mountain given a chance, instead of going home empty. It's just a matter of expectations and prospective.

Good luck to you!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    enjoy it. that is awesome country

Thanks
    That is some burly country up there. Be safe and have a good time. Hope you find a slammer.

Like the others have said, your attitude is quite refreshing.

Banned
    Thanks
    It's ALWAYS the hunt, and not the kill. I feel bad for those who don't have a good time if they don't get a kill. Some won't have a good time if they don't get a trophy. Sad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    It's ALWAYS the hunt, and not the kill. I feel bad for those who don't have a good time if they don't get a kill. Some won't have a good time if they don't get a trophy. Sad.

right on!! so true. just be happy to be there and experience the adventure of it.

Thanks
    I agree 100% that hunting big game, bird hunting, or fishing is all about the experience more than how big, numbers, and size. I just enjoy being able to share the experiences with family and friends. Its also just the freedom of being out there in the woods or on the river/lake without thinking of anything besides having fun that is priceless.

Thanks
    I couldn't agree more. I leave tonite for a short weekend archery elk hunt, and I can't wait to finally just get to hike around the mountains and have the opportunity.