Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Those who carry-

What do you normally load your sidearm up with? Solids? Cast bullets? Seem to me the wrong ammo would be almost as disasterous as being under-gunned. I would assume you are shooting for a central nervous system hit when facing down a charge, and I can picture a softpoint or HP not breaking enough bone to get to the important stuff. I saw a bear skull taken in northern WI that had a .357 slug lodged in the forhead and healed over.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Few grizzlies are stopped when hit with a rifle while hunting. Most will run off. Imagine trying to stop one in a charge with a handgun? If you could stay calm enough to hit some vitals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    The best thing to have with you is someone else with a gimpy leg who can't run.
    LMAO ! Or an older guy that you can run faster than or climb a tree faster is better yet ! About the spray, I would worry if the wind is blowing towards me but I know you wouldn't have time anyway but it would be screwed if you got it back in your face and couldn't react to the bear too. I had pepper spray blow in my face while sraying a nieghbor's pit bull on my door step once. The reaction is like somebody slapping you in the face and then intence burning eyes and face. I can see how it can incapacitate you quickly.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    LMAO ! Or an older guy that you can run faster than or climb a tree faster is better yet ! About the spray, I would worry if the wind is blowing towards me but I know you wouldn't have time anyway but it would be screwed if you got it back in your face and couldn't react to the bear too. I had pepper spray blow in my face while sraying a nieghbor's pit bull on my door step once. The reaction is like somebody slapping you in the face and then intence burning eyes and face. I can see how it can incapacitate you quickly.
    That's simple. As the bear charges, you sidestep it and let it run past you. Then you're upwind when it come back at you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    Those who carry-

What do you normally load your sidearm up with? Solids? Cast bullets? Seem to me the wrong ammo would be almost as disasterous as being under-gunned. I would assume you are shooting for a central nervous system hit when facing down a charge, and I can picture a softpoint or HP not breaking enough bone to get to the important stuff. I saw a bear skull taken in northern WI that had a .357 slug lodged in the forhead and healed over.
    I would think large caliber heavy grain hard cast solids. I have some 405 gr. hard cast Beartooth bullets (no pun) for my 460 S&W and 454 Casull that I would have in my pistol. But if I was carrying a rifle I wouldn't want to pack those heavy pistols. Maybe my 44 Super Blackhawk or 45 auto like Chippy Happy said. I carried my Glock Md. 21 45 auto a couple years ago when I helped a friend pack out the rest of his deer meat hanging in the tree next day. I didn't take my rifle because I'd already filled my tag and didn't want to carry it along with pack frame. This was in South Fork near Cody and I see grizzlies there often. I felt very under gunned but figured if I got attacked and it got me on the ground, I'd rather have a pistol. You probably won't be able to use a rifle while on the ground but at least I could try to unload 13 rds of 45 auto in him while he's munching on me...We saw no bears that time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    That's simple. As the bear charges, you sidestep it and let it run past you. Then you're upwind when it come back at you.
    Like a Matador but with bear instead of a bull ? LOL !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    LMAO ! Or an older guy that you can run faster than or climb a tree faster is better.
    Hmm.. Wanna come hunting with me?! Hahaha

I sprayed pepper spray in my room when I was younger thinking it was air spray stuff.. It definitely did cover up the smell of my room...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I was goign to carry an auto, I might take a look at the Glock 20 10mm. More punch than a .45, and higher capacity, but still only half the mustard of a 44 mag.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got the answer! When a big grizzly is charging you. Spray yourself with bear spray, because you don't want to see what's about to happen to you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Hmm.. Wanna come hunting with me?! Hahaha

I sprayed pepper spray in my room when I was younger thinking it was air spray stuff.. It definitely did cover up the smell of my room...
    I bet I could out run you girl ! I can out run my son for a short didtance. That's where you might get me, the long haul. I'd probaly just climb a tree near me and let you run and take the griz with you . LOL !
    Sprayed your room with pepper spray ? Oh Jen, I hope you go spanked !