Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Pack for Day Use + Hauling out Bear

I'm planning on solo spot and stalk bear hunting in NW MT next month. I plan to hike in and out each day so I will be doing a lot of walking. I am not a road hunter for sure but I don't have lightweight equipment for staying in the backcountry.

My current pack is a fairly light 2600 size day pack with no frame. I am pretty sure I need a better pack for hauling out a bear. I am 58 and in pretty good hiking shape but hauling out 100 lbs at a time is not realistic at my age. Hauling 50 lbs added to what I carry in is more likely.

I was thinking of an Eberlestock J34 but read on here that the load adjusters don't work when hauling out a heavy load and it ends up being a backbreaker.

I like the idea of a rifle scabbard but it is not essential. I need a space for my 3 liter hydration pack, tripod, 65mm spotting scope and other essentials for a day trip.

What would you guys suggest? I try to buy good quality used equipment if I can find it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Would go with Badlands 2200 is not a bad pick. Load lifters work great. I have 21 in torso and fits fine. I think that is the problem with most eberlstock packs. I have a x2 which is also but can only be used for me as daypack. lifters are about 2 below my shoulders. I carry 80mm scope and tripod in my 2200. I have had up to 95lbs in it while not comfortable(no pack will be at that weight) did handle it very well. The only thing that hurt was my legs and feet. The EB when loaded seems to pull off your back, although i have not used the blue widow. There are many other options but for the money IMO 2200 is great with suspension. Of course if I had plenty of money I wouldnt hestiate pulling trigger on a Kifaru but not likely to happen anytime soon for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Some one will give you a more detailed answer than me but the first thing I would do is leave the spotting scope and tripod at the jeep. I doubt I would carry anything except the day pack. When you get your bear you could come back to the jeep for a back pack. My backpack is metal frame, works, just not current stuff. You will need your gun pretty handy. I carry mine a lot in two hands, ready.
    I assume you will walk closed logging trails in grizzly country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Some one will give you a more detailed answer than me but the first thing I would do is leave the spotting scope and tripod at the jeep. I doubt I would carry anything except the day pack. When you get your bear you could come back to the jeep for a back pack. My backpack is metal frame, works, just not current stuff. You will need your gun pretty handy. I carry mine a lot in two hands, ready.
    I assume you will walk closed logging trails in grizzly country.
    Yes, I had planned to walk closed logging trails.

Even if I left the spotter, I use my tripod as my shooting stick. I just unscrew the yoke I keep on it for shooting and screw on my spotter when I want to glass. But, if I don't need a spotter that would save a good bit of weight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have hunted nw Mt and I didnot need a spotter unless I was in a jeep. A lot of that stuff is thick, yet you might get into some cutover where a spotter would be nice to have. Good luck and that is a fun way to hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I bought a MR Crew Cab this year to compliment my J107. It compresses down into a daypack you could definately sustain out of for a day, and expands out for hauling. I have been doing my training hikes with 2x45lbs bags of lawn fertilizer, and it hauls great. The other big plus for me is the NICE Frame; which is basically a moular frame that you can attach multiple bags depending on what you are going to do.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/...e-crewcab-pack

I have heard really good things about the MR Longbow as well.