Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Casper meat processing

Just felt the need to vent to people. Me and a friend drove into Casper on the 18th to bowhunt lopes. My buddy shot a buck that probably will score 72-73 depending on shrinkage. Anyway we took his meat to dans meat in evansville. The skinner recomended a Exploding taxi guy to us, so we figured Ok well go look. Holly Crap this guys junk was so bad it made me want to laugh when I saw it. I am really P-ed off at that skinner for recommending that fella, went back to him and he said he was paying him to recommend people. Does that piss you guys off or just me...
    Last edited by FNG; 08-23-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats why you go look at the work first brother, for that exact reason. Wonder if the owner knows if that guy is recommending that fella, seems like a liability to me but who knows.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Funny I dropped a buck on wednesday and I brought my meat to the same place, and the little troll looking fella hounded the crap out of me to get it mounted and bring to the guy you mentiond. Looked him up on the phone and definatly was like you said, so I have him frozen in the back of the pickup til my buddies done hunting this weekend and I will check some other local guys that I found. Oh, and yes it ticked me off too, am definatley suprised to see some one on here complaining about the same experience, hopefully the meat guy doesnt loose business cause of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do all my own meat. Many years ago I took a couple of antelope and a deer to a processor in Casper and was really unhappy when I got home with it. I took really particular care with my meat. I always skin and quarter everything to cool it down and trim off any bloody tissue from the bullet. The processor was a little ticked because I had already skinned it as he lost his skinning fee. The meat was terrible...strong and pretty bad. I even found hair in the ground stuff. Pretty obvious I didn't get my own meat back. Last time I had anything done at a place I don't know something about in advance!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I called a processor in Casper the other day and asked about just having meat frozen for the ride back home. I'm like you CC, I take very good field care of my meat and am very careful with it. Don't want to get one somebody hauled around in the back of a hot pickup all day. I bring the skulls and capes back home too. Got a pretty fair taxidermist here that will swap a European mount for a good cape. The place I called was Pat's processing, the gent I spoke with said they could handle freezing the meat for me with no problem.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I took my antelope to Pats processing last fall, and had him keep our meat in his walk in cooler for 4 days while we checked out the rest of the state. When we got back, he hooked us up with a bunch of dry ice, and cut off the horns for us.. I think the total came to about $75 for 2 coolers full of meat, 2 horns cut off, and probably close to 25 pounds of dry ice. Not bad, considering the premium on cooler space in mid September.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Even around home I like to quarter my game and freeze the quarters, then take them to the locker 3 months after the last deer season closes. That way I'm sure I get my own meat back. After seeing how some people treat their game I wouldn't have it any other way. On trips I use dry ice and big coolers or if I take my Polaris Ranger and trailer I haul a smaller deep freeze on the front of the trailer and use it as a cooler, keeping it plugged in when possible.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I take a small 5 cu ft freezer with me and a small generator. Usually bone all the meat and freeze it for butchering when I get home.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The butcher I use in Casper debones the critter where it drops, loads it in my pack and carries it to the truck for me
    The taxi knocks the horns off and sticks them in the flower pot by the front steps, not a great job but cheap!
    Lucky for me I've been busted on every stalk so far this year

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Flower pot of horns huh, yeah i looked at that Exploding fellas (not to mention hes a A-hole) work on my way back from the circus that is now elk hunting. Yeah it is as you described, needs lots more practice or drugs. Funny how few people actually look at there mounts, a taxi here showed me what to look for and everyone of my old mounts are just generic jobs. On one deer the right eye is 1-2 in higher than the left. I process my own meat anymore, to many horror stories, and bad meat. Havent had a bad piece yet doing it myself.