Threaded View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I do all my own meat. Many years ago I took a couple of antelope and a deer to a processor in Casper and was really unhappy when I got home with it. I took really particular care with my meat. I always skin and quarter everything to cool it down and trim off any bloody tissue from the bullet. The processor was a little ticked because I had already skinned it as he lost his skinning fee. The meat was terrible...strong and pretty bad. I even found hair in the ground stuff. Pretty obvious I didn't get my own meat back. Last time I had anything done at a place I don't know something about in advance!
    I have had the same experience more than once, and have come to the same conclusion as Colorado Cowboy. DIY. Many game processors operate on the communal theory. If they estimate that you brought in 75 pounds of boneless meat, you will get back 75 pounds of boneless meat. Who's meat it might be is anybody's guess. Chances are very slim that you will get back "your" meat, unless you know the processor. One of the better taxidermists in Casper advised me against using some of the processors there for just that reason. I have a couple of the new generation ice chests that will hold ice for an extended period. I use block ice (crushed is useless for long term), and stack my boned bagged meat on the blocks of ice.

When using dry ice for transport, I made a plywood shelf for each ice chest that fits on the inside lip in the ice chests. Cut a few 1.5" holes with a holesaw, sand, and finish with 2-4 coats of polyurethane. After I pack the meat. I put in the shelf, and put dry ice on the shelf (wrapped in newspaper). I have hauled meat from Colorado (850 miles), and Wyoming (1,200) miles using both methods without any meat spoilage, and without having to add any extra dry ice. Sometimes, I do have to drain and add a couple of extra blocks if I am using the "wet" method.
    Last edited by Sawfish; 09-06-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA