Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Interesting Session At The Range This AM

Just got back from the range, it was cloudy, rained a little and cool. I took out the .257 Wby and my sporterized 03 Springfield 30-06. I just added a new scope to the Springfield and wanted to sight it in. Scope is a Leupold VXIII 3.5 x 10 40 mm AO. Gun shoots really great.

I tried something different with the Wby. If you remember from previous posts I have been working with this gun for 3 months...some good, some not so good results. I have a friend in Ca. that has the exact same setup and we were talking on the phone recently and he told me to seat the bullets only deep enough to work in the magazine, forget what the specs and what factory ammo is. I pulled some bullets on my best loads and reseated them further out (about .25) and the 100 yard groups are at least 50% tighter! Absolutely unreal. I know Wby put lots of freebore in their rifles, but this just blew my mind. I usually try to keep my loads a little longer (OAL) because I think it helps accuracy, but not a quarter of an inch.

Also the Wby has a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 but it is a 50mm. I really have not cared for 50 mm because of how high the scope has to be mounted. But today I became a believer. The difference in brightness on a really dark, cloudy day was really big. The 50 mm seemed almost twice as bright as the 40, even with the same scope.

Live and learn.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 08-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats how I do the loads for my Tikka i forget what my OAL is but it was quite a bit more than was reccomended. I shoot barns and have herd many times to follow there OAL for best performance but that wasnt the case with mine. I am also the same about the 50mm that is all I use anymore. Just threw a Night Force 6.5-20x50 on my 300wsm I had built but havent got to play with it yet

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Post. I know that makes you feel better about your 257. It makes me want to confirm my spot and stalk bear setup. I am learing more about accuracy all the time and since I don't have custom guns I use different bullets/ammo to achieve better accuracy. In one old model 700 I have tried six bullet combinations and now have it shooting so good no one wiould believe it. German made RWS ammo at $19.00 per box of 20. I have been watching your progress with the 257, that is a very interesting round.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Post. I know that makes you feel better about your 257. It makes me want to confirm my spot and stalk bear setup. I am learing more about accuracy all the time and since I don't have custom guns I use different bullets/ammo to achieve better accuracy. In one old model 700 I have tried six bullet combinations and now have it shooting so good no one wiould believe it. German made RWS ammo at $19.00 per box of 20. I have been watching your progress with the 257, that is a very interesting round.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey CC,
    I have an old 1903 Springfield I got from my Granpa. Never sporterized it though. The rifling in the barrel is worn but the action is good. I have 50 mm objective's on all my scopes but a few. Probably 7 at least. I love them. I like the bigger field of view also besides being brighter. Hang in there progress is happening !

Shaun,
    Can you loan me your Night Force for awhile ?
    I shoot mostly Barnes TTSX and TSX in my rifles and know they are are picky on OAL. By accident, I found that seating them a little deeper gave me a little better accuracy. I had them out as far as I could in the magazine because my loads were max and filled the case and the Barnes bullets are long for their weight and it was compressd to the max, so much I could hear it crunching. Well, it's a little more compressed now but my pressure is fine and a little better accuracy .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    I have 50 mm objective's on all my scopes but a few. Probably 7 at least. I love them. I like the bigger field of view also besides being brighter.
    Sorry to be a nitpicker, but this is just a common misconception. FOV is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification, not objective size. In fact many smaller objective optics have wider FOVs than their big-obj. bretheren.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 08-22-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Sorry to be a nitpicker, but this is just a common misconception. FOV is primarily a function of eyepiece design and magnification, not objective size. In fact many smaller objective optics have wider FOVs than their big-obj. bretheren.
    BB you are the optics master.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey CC I just realized that i didn' t send you that brass yet. I will try to get it out to you asap. Sorry!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    to bitterroot-this is off the subject but are u with bitterroot outfitters? i ask cuz they sent me a calender last year i like it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsmallfield View Post
    Hey CC I just realized that i didn' t send you that brass yet. I will try to get it out to you asap. Sorry!!
    No problem....I forgot about it too!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley