Hybrid View

Thanks

Summer Black Bear Hunting Boots

Hey all,

plan to be up in the back country for a week in June of 2013. Going to be calling in Black Bear. What kind of hiking boots would y'all recommend for that time of year? Also, what kind of weather can I expect?
    Thanks,
    VC

Thanks
    bump......

Thanks
    Hi VannieC! If you are going to be hunting in June it will more or less be pretty warm. Montana is kind of like wyoming, you can never tell what the weather will be like. I would plan for both warm or cold. As for boots, I would get some that aren't super insulated just because of the time of year. If you wear boots with like 1000 grams of insulation, your feet will probably get pretty hot. If you are going to be back country hunting in rugged terrain I would get something that has plenty of ankle support. This is important when side hilling and such. My boots are 450 grams of insulation and I wear them year-round. They seem to be pretty perfect for me. I would try a few different pairs on and just compare how they feel. I know there are some boots for me that i feel are super heavy on my feet and I sound like a herd of elephants in the woods.. You want something lightweight and comfortable so that you can be super sneaky!

Thanks
    Go to www.wunderground/history to get average high and lows temperatures and rain and snowfall averages for any particular week or month. Then type in the name of the nearest decent size town. I use that when I am hunting a new state. Of course, the weather the last few years has been weird all over.

As Jen said, weather can vary a lot so take layers, mainly merino wool. Include a rain layer. Check out the Eastman home page to see Guy's recommendations on layering.

As for boots, I love my Danner Pronghorns. You can get them without insulation. Make sure your boots have good soles, waterproofing and very little flex. Check that out by trying to push both ends together to make a V.

Good luck. I am trying to work out a bear hunt for September, too.