Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming needs to change..

I wish the residents of this great state would state up to the politicians in the game and fish org. I personnaly think that it is rediculous that we have the wait until the end of june or early july to find out if we can go elk, deer, or antelope hunting. Why not have everything drawn by the end of april so you canactually plan and start scouting.

Im also probably in the minority but I wish we had a choose your weapon policy as well bowhunting is becoming a joke. I started with a bow and have ended up rifle the past few because of the sheer amount of bowhunters (i countd over 45 bowhunters elk hunting last year on labor day weekend) its like rifle just without the distance. Just a vent post maybe share yours

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    As a non resident, it's kind of hard to complain about Wyoming, considering how generous they are with their non resident allotment. I do really like the choose your weapon idea. I think it would do a great job in both spreading out pressure, and improving odds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    They can't say they don't have enought time, as we get our NR elk results by the end of February.

I think the just want to keep your $$$ a little longer, short term interest dontcha no!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 05-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wyoming draws elk, deer, and antelope later and not at the same time so if the people who put in for moose, sheep, or goat draw, they can decide if they even want to put in for deer, elk, or antelope. Most poeple who draw these trophy tags will not put in for other big game animals since they spend most of their time with their trophy tag since its probably the only time in their life they will draw it. I personally like the fact that I can go out during archery season and if I dont fill my tag I can go out and hunt with a rifle. Yes archery is getting extremely crowded here in Wyoming. Its not gonna get any better either. More people are moving into this state and that wont stop as long as our coal, oil, and gas is booming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    There is a petition i just signed to allow residents a preference point system like non residents for deer elk and antelope, that would be a nice change in my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    also it absolutely drives me nuts that we have to wait to see what we drew until the end of june, but even if i knew at the end of march what i would be hunting it would drive me nuts waiting so long till season starts.... soo i guess i just need to change my patience rather than game and fish change their system haha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I understand why Wyoming does certain tags earlier, But that doesn't mean they have to keep the deer & antelope tag draw (and our money) until July. They have our $$$ on deposit for almost 4 months.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, it sucks that we have to wait so long to get the results, but I like it that it's not at the same time as the moose and sheep results. If I were to draw moose and/or sheep, I would not put in for elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Yes, it sucks that we have to wait so long to get the results, but I like it that it's not at the same time as the moose and sheep results. If I were to draw moose and/or sheep, I would not put in for elk.
    But if you put in for the moose, goat, sheep, which should be a january only application period, draw could be done first of march to alllow thm their interest, aplly march thru april for elk, antelope, and deer and draw may. Seems simple to me and two months before the current tentative draw.

I am totally for a preference system for residents I have drawn 3 antelope, and like 9 elk. Where as friends of mine have drawn lik 15 antelope tags and 2 or 0 elk. Its hard to tell me that there draw system is completely unbiased

Plus this state has a serious mule deer problem and they choose to do nothing about it. (not enough time to type my true feeling on that issue)...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was told the reason the draw dates are late is to allow time for biological data to be collected to determine tag quotas, fine with me. I see no reason to apply in March though, mail in applications are pretty much obsolete and with the technology available the results could be posted the day after the deadline but that wouldn't allow much time for interest to be drawn. I wonder how much interest they collect on tag fees?

As a non resident I only apply for antelope, might apply for a mule deer tag one of these years (banking points). It seems to me that Wyoming is a little biased in favor of non residents. My opinion is that non residents should only get tags if there are left overs AFTER the resident draw. The motivating factor I'm sure with the current system is $$$, just like everything else. Wyoming has a very generous non resident tag allotment. You guys pay taxes all year, you should get first choice on the tags!

Just my humble opinion!
    Bob