Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hunting alone can be a little daunting, but also really rewarding. After years of hunting with a great pard, the last couple of years I have been mostly by myself too. My lifelong friend and fellow hunter's wife passed away and he moved back to California to be closer to his son. My son owns his own trucking company and is on the road all the time. My wife gets worried as I am 70 and she is concerned I'll have a problem. I bought a SPOT and got it all set up and she now seems satisfied. Whoever thought about this SPOT thingy really hit it dead on.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CC,
    For a $150.00 I thinking of getting one. Mike, the guy who shot the big heart shaped lope buck has one. He said his wife tracks him on it. I asked if he turns it off when he hits the asphalt...Or at least before going into a bar.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman777 View Post
    Thanks WYODon,
    I plan on getting in their two days early and use the two days before season to scout some more and take alot of pictures. I was actually thinking about purchasing a SPOT locator. They seem like they would do the trick to send an OK message and also call for help if needed. I never thought about the book thats a great idea. I am pretty pumped just to say I did it!! I am hoping to shoot a nice one but if the opportunity does't present itself then oh well, it is just going to be an awesome experience.
    Don't worry about shooting anything. You will have learned a lot for the next time be it there or else where. The older you get, you will find that the kill isn't the main thing. It's the whole experiance. It took me a long time not to be mad at not killing something out of state. But later on, I realized I learned something new evertime and used it next time. I've come home from Wy. a few times empty handed but never regretted going. If I didn't, I'd of been more mad at myself. Just relax and and have a great time. It will all fall in place if it's meant to be. Coming home safe and great memoies is the most important. getting your game is the icing on the cake. Get the SPOT. Griz or no Griz.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    Don't worry about shooting anything. You will have learned a lot for the next time be it there or else where. The older you get, you will find that the kill isn't the main thing. It's the whole experiance. It took me a long time not to be mad at not killing something out of state. But later on, I realized I learned something new evertime and used it next time. I've come home from Wy. a few times empty handed but never regretted going. If I didn't, I'd of been more mad at myself. Just relax and and have a great time. It will all fall in place if it's meant to be. Coming home safe and great memoies is the most important. getting you game is the icing on the cake. Get the SPOT. Griz or no Griz.
    Don nailed that one! My most favorite and memorable hunt was my elk hunt last year. I didn't harvest anything but the whole hunt was amazing. I was hunting alone, saw some great bulls, got up close to a lot of elk and so much more. Just hearing the elk and watching them is amazing to me. I was sitting behind a tree when a couple cows and calves came out to water and one of the calves started playing in the water and it took everything in me to not bust out laughing. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Just being out in the mountains and getting to experience all it has to offer is what makes a great hunt for me. Even not harvesting an animal, you still learn so much for the next year. So dont sweat it, just go out and have a great time! And definitely get the SPOT! They are well worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    CC,
    For a $150.00 I thinking of getting one. Mike, the guy who shot the big heart shaped lope buck has one. He said his wife tracks him on it. I asked if he turns it off when he hits the asphalt...Or at least before going into a bar.
    Bought mine at Cabelas (online) about a month ago for $99.95. They were on sale. Another 99.95 to activate.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley