Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scent spray worth added weight?

Hey guys, curious what you mountain gurus do? Here in IA, our stands are at lost 3/4 of a mile away and on "level" ground compared to the Rockies so I can pack in some Primos Scent Eliminator spray no problem. But next yr in CO, I don't think it's going to be worth the added weight and space used. I've heard about guys standing in campfire smoke for added cover scent....anyone believe in that? Regardless, I still will play the wind but wanted some thoughts on added help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am skeptical of any "cover" or "elimination" sprays. I think it is kind of a gimmick to separate us from our money. After a couple of days (or much less) I can smell myself! I don't think it matters.

Campfire smoke? I put that in the wives tail column too.

Keeping the wind in your favor is above all the most important thing. Save the weight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    I'd rather take some deodorant than scent sprays, I'm more concerned with being able to live with myself while in my tent/sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I don't think they really work for an active hunter.

Hunting the wind does work, however.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I use it hunting whitetails, but I just don't think it can keep up when you are working that hard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    Do like the one "professional" did on TV, smear fresh cow s#*^ on your face and clothes for cover scent!!!! Then let me know how it worked out for you!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a avid Whitetail hunter and I agree I have never used the scent eliminator and not had a problem killing lots of deer. Just make sure I have several stand options that give me the wind advantage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I swing both ways on the subject. In the high country i use fresh sage or whatever bush looks juicy. Take my shirt off rub it all over my clothes,hands and stinky spots. But this season while hunting for a cow elk i sprayed down with some cover spray for shits and giggles. I had a spike at 5 yards with the wind at my back before sunup. I dont know if he felt safe because it was dark or my odor didnt bother him. Later that morning a group of does came down the draw and i was stuck in the only tree around for cover. Wind at my back again. They came to 7 yards before picking me apart and blowing out. Maybe the stuff is worth the weight?
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Find a wallow that the bulls have been using and do a little wallowing yourself. Who knows, might just work!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are new or newer to mountain hunting, focus on diurnal winds and more importantly when the diurnal "shift" takes place. Usually, as a rule of thumb, it begins around 10am in the mountains (a little earlier in the summer and a little latter in the fall and winter months). The valley floor heats up and the wind goes up hill, in the afternoon/evening it reverses. Fronts are going to change this (of course) but you can pretty much set your clock by them on a "normal" day.

This is also important as a buck (especially if he is by himself) will usually bed with his back to the wind facing down hill in the a.m. They trust their nose to cover their 6 and their eyes for their 12 o'clock. The diurnal shift will take place and put the wind at the bucks face and if everything works perfect can allow you to pull a sneak up behind them with the wind in the bucks face while he is looking down hill, giving you the high ground to come down on him. Simple in theory, but the only place it is simple!

I have found the diurnal winds to be pretty constant up into October and even on nice November days.