Thanks

OTC Archery Elk or Mule Deer Hunting

All,

I have been trying to do some homework on where is the best place to have some success with OTC elk or muleys but still really dont know where to start.

Does anyone have some suggestions on what GMU has the best opportunity for either elk or muleys?

Thanks Guys, Best of Luck

Thanks
    I'd start with the eastmans MRS section. They give you a good breakdown of the better units. Also use the DOW website, there is tons of info. on there from maps to statistics on each unit. Pick a few units, then start to explore them with the maps on the DOW website and Google Earth. Then once you narrow down your units call the DOW and ask them specific questions about areas you have researched. It's a process, but the more you can learn on your own, the better off you are of asking the right questions to get some good answers. Then...the most important part is to scout, hunt your areas you pick and learn them. It's going to take a lot of time and luck to find a "great" OTC unit, Im yet to do it. But you can only keep trying and researching. Mike Eastman has a good book on elk hunting and picking areas that will inhabit elk also. So far in my elk hunting experience it's not so much finding the perfect unit, it's just knowing the unit you are in as good as you can.

Thanks
    It takes a LONG time to sift through all the information, so get started early! A year early if possible.

Also, keep in mind there is no OTC muleys, but you might be able to find a unit you can reliably draw on 0 pref points.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Thanks guys that is all really good information. I am just starting this process so I will put in action all that is advised at this point. I agree scout areas is by far the best way to increase your odds for success. Im at the stage of choosing where those places to scout are.

Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    I assume you're talking about 2013, so you have plenty of time for research.