Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Searching for West

It's so funny how moments in time come and go and all the travels and conversations that take place in life. The quote below has stuck with me almost a year and a half ago. Not sure Mark will remember it or even our brief conversation it but the words did with me and I found them very profound. We are given a gift daily and should cherish and honor all the gifts we are given. Family, wilderness, friendships, all have a huge place in our hearts. Having the sense to honor those needs in an appropriate way (and growing manner) is the gift. I found this 23 minute film and quote to speak volumes to me. I just thought I'd share this here too.

June 2011
    "Kevin Root question to Mark, "Mentally speaking, what one tip would you give to help prepare for hunting in the remote backcountry?"

Mark Seacat "enjoy the moment"... you're really lucky to be out there... so enjoy it, leave the outside world behind, don't worry about the office... but definitely keep your family on your mind... coming home is the most important part!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

BobT (08-29-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks Kevin, really puts things into perspective doesn't it.

Bob

Thanks
    That is exactly what it is all about. Could not have put it into words any better.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well said Kevin. I really enjoyed the film as well.

Thanks
    right on!!

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing Keven.
    I finally took the time to watch it. Very good.
    I could relate to it some. I took off on a hunting trip to Wy. when my son was barely 3 mon. old.
    I took a lot of crap for it from wife and family. Not so much following years. I didn't think at the time as it being selfish.
    My wife took the time off work after having our son. I didn't think being gone a week here or there that I was going to miss any of his growing up. Maybe I did ??? He turned out a good son. Been divorced for 16 yrs. and he has lived with me full time for the last 11 yrs. I don't miss much anymore !

Thanks
    One can only hope one day our children and family understand what we were really searching for out there in the backcountry. Sometimes it's hard to explain or understand myself....but the pull is there.

I thought they did some pretty cool videography on the short film. Dolly work, aerial shots, some time-lapse, and slow motion made for some cool film. There is a lot of awesome beauty that is part of the hunting experience. It was cool seeing them capture it a bit. I was mesmerized watching parts of it. They captured part of that hard to fully explain essence, heart and soul that makes up backcountry hunting.

Thanks
    Thanks Kevin great video i really enjoyed it .

Thanks
    Keven,
    I liked how they emphasized the changing of the seasons between archery and rifle . I don't think non hunters realize all the experiences a hunter goes though AND with his or her family . I think most just think you go out in the woods and shoot the first deer,elk ,etc. you see and done deal. They don't know the feelings, sites,smells, sounds, experiences a hunter has. I've been lucky enough to convert a wife and two girlfriends to the whole thing and one actually shot a buck deer in Wy. 2002 and was hooked. She got married a few yrs ago and moved to Mt. But her husband doesn't hunt. She sends me pictures a big bucks in her yard and around town and gets excited about them. She knows the feeling still . My last girlfriend had no interest in killing anything but I intoduced her to hunting and she was hooked on the whole thing and loved to glass for deer and was good at it. She still always wants to go sometimes and always asks about my hunts. My ex wife liked everything about it but the kill. She wasn't against it , just didn't want to watch kill or taking care of kill. All 3 knew nothing about hunting before they met me. I feel good that at least I converted 3 woman . I remember taking my wife and son when he was 6 mon. old with me on an archery deer hunt on the Kiabab Plateau Az. .Had a tiny camp trailer. Sept. is a great time to be in the mtns.. Let a non hunter hear an elk bugle... Nothing else like it... (not on Kiabab) Thanks again for sharing Keven. I sent it to about ten people. Half non hunters
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 09-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    I wish I was cool enough to make a film that good. It was produced and edited extremely well.