Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Charles Russell Mulies, or Little Belts Combo hunt. MT

My friend and I are planning a hunt for our senior year. He hunts out west and I hunt in the east. We are located in Eastern North Dakota. A combo hunt in MT would be 900$ for the mulie and elk tags alone. But he keeps saying it is worth it. But I think paying close to a grand for tags is crazy since we have a good chance of not shooting anything. Another option would be just mulie on the charles russell. But he says we would need a boat to get to the big deer. I said we could save some money, and have good chances of tagging out, and just go pronghorn in WY. Its a relatively cheap tag and lots if them around. What do you guys think? We strongly wanted to do a later season bull elk hunt in CO, but it is just so far from home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    don't need a boat to hunt the cmr,but lots of shoe leather. not many big old boys out there to find it's way over hunted.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Multi-SpeciesHunter View Post
    My friend and I are planning a hunt for our senior year. He hunts out west and I hunt in the east. We are located in Eastern North Dakota. A combo hunt in MT would be 900$ for the mulie and elk tags alone. But he keeps saying it is worth it. But I think paying close to a grand for tags is crazy since we have a good chance of not shooting anything. Another option would be just mulie on the charles russell. But he says we would need a boat to get to the big deer. I said we could save some money, and have good chances of tagging out, and just go pronghorn in WY. Its a relatively cheap tag and lots if them around. What do you guys think? We strongly wanted to do a later season bull elk hunt in CO, but it is just so far from home.
    You are spot on thinking of an antelope hunt in Wyoming to break the ice. The Montana combo hunt will probably not result in an elk for either of you and the muley only option in the Breaks will probably not result in drawing a Montana deer tag for either of you unless you bought points this year. Wyoming would be an easy draw in a good area with 100% chance of success as long as you both can shoot, plus you can pick an area where you can draw up to two doe tags to go with your buck tags...good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Go with your Wyoming antelope idea. Tons of them around and you can hunt all day. It's tons of fun. As long as you shoot straight, you'll get one pretty easily.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you beat feet. You can fill that tag in the Breaks. There is a lot of country back in there and the BMAs are not bad. You will have to work hard for a monster. If you do go for the Little Belts, give it the time it deserves.

Where in Wyoming is there still tags available with decent public land? I called the Warden on units 109 and others around Sheridan. He told me not to bother. I didn't draw a MT tag this year and my son (6) and I love Antelope hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    IMO montana is way over priced now. Eastern montana is a fun deer hunt but since they raised their prices i feel my money is better spent in other states. Go hunt antelope in wyoming. If your not necessarily interested in a B&C buck and just want to have an enjoyable hunt there are plenty of units you can get a tag with no points and see lots of antelope!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Would WY antelope but mainly driving around and locating herds? Gas isn't the cheapest... I guess since we would be 17 when purchasing the licenses we can get away with the youth tag price, so its only be 475$ instead of 950$ for the Mulie/Elk combo license. It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to go out on our own with that kind of great price. But it also states you must have a member of the party who we are related to pays the full price. I say MT is just a waste of money then. I would love the antelope hunt, but I just don't know if driving around and making stalks on herds would really be a "senior year" caliber hunt. I guess it is hard to describe. We just want it to be a hunt we will remember before we leave high school and move on. Just any info is appreciated