Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Mule Deer Hunt

I am looking for advice on what units I should put in for in 2013. I have no pp's so I know most of the true trophy areas are going to be out of my reach. If anyone has any suggestions on areas that might be good options for me it would be greatly appreciated! I have family in GMU 55 and good friends that have a place in GMU 77. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok well maybe I asked the wrong kind of question or something! I'm not looking for someones honey hole but just wanting info on units that might hold good animals and is not too tough to draw a tag in!!! any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can tell you to forget about unit 55. You'll need points. Tough to get a deer tag in that unit. Easy for elk though.

You need to go to the DOW web site. It has a ton of information. You have a lot of time to research. You'll be very limited with no points.

If you hunt for elk, you can buy an OTC bull elk tag in unit 55. No points needed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info old hunter! I have talked to my uncle in 55 and he said it seems that most of the elk close to their cabin have left! He thinks there are so many atvs that many of the elk have moved out! It still amazes me how hard it is to get a tag in CO for deer when elk is OTC! Thanks for the insight!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The elk move away from the ATV roads. They haven't left. The Gunnison basin still has a large herd. You need to hike away from the crowd, but that's pretty much true for any unit.

Yes, deer tags are hard to get compared to elk tags. I find it annoying too. It sucks that I can't hunt where I live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    There are some good muzzle loader and archery hunts you can draw with no points or as a second choice most years if you want to build points and get to hunt as well and there is always the OTC elk tags if all else fails!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Their cabin is near taylor res. and we were there this summer!! As a flat lander i just want to get in that country to hunt!!! If I dont kill fine but at least I tried and If i get lucky and harvest than thats going to be even better!!! During the early seasons the deer and elk stay as high as they can for as long as they can right? Ive heard that the weather has to pretty much drive them down!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, they'll be high right now. I actually had a muzzleloader tag this year, and today would have been the first day. All my scouting was up at timberline.

I broke a rib last week, and it's not close to healing enough for an elk hunt. So, I exchanged the ML tag yesterday for a OTC 2nd rifle bull elk in unit 55. I just live across the hill in unit 481. Hopefully, the rib will be healed by then. I'm going to hate the crowds, but it's way better than staying home. It was the only option I had. I'll be shocked if i get a shot at a bull, so i'm just going to have fun and not let anything bother me. I have a deep hate for ATV's, but I have to do my best to ignore them this year.

You'll need to get away from the lake if you try 55. Way too crowded.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    K when we were there we toook a jeep ride to another park west of there and my uncle said that most of the elk were staying in that area at that time! I just cant remember the name of it! I have figured out if you dont live in the area its really hard to get things figured out! That is really the frustrating part to me!!! but its not anything a lot of try wont fix!! Sorry to hear about the rib old hunter! Thats got to suck bad!!! We are headed out to scout elk here in OK today!!! I'm so ready to chase the bulls here!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's some info you may not be aware of. When you buy an OTC tag. It's good for all the OTC units. So, you have a lot of options compared to a tag you get from the draw. Those are specific to the unit (s) you apply for.