Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Would you move to Alaska?

Me and two other hunting buddies are all 17 now. And we all plan on moving to AK either out of high school or finish some college first. We would be moving for the life experience and for the outdoors of course! Anchorage has around 250,000 people, so I have already decided that that is where I would want to move. Their temperatures are comparable to my home in Eastern ND. They also have some great colleges, 2 and four year schools. I am very interested in wildlife biology or law enforcement and Alaska has almost 3 jobs per thousand people for Wildlife Biologists. The next best state is CA with .8 jobs per thousand people. We would drive the alaskan highway and most likely start off with a crappy apartment and have enough money for a month or two's rent. I understand that the cost of living is extreme in AK. I don't mean to bore people. I'm just curious if others would wish they would have when they were young or just any advance you can provide. I would really appreciate it. I have a passport and have driven long drives upwards of 20 hours into Canada for fishing trips. I trap, hunt, fish, spear pike and anything else you can think of. Alaska would be a dream. I enjoy winter.

Thanks
    sounds like you answered your own question buddy... go!! don tlet anything stand in the way of your future, sounds like you know what you want, go for it, chase it until its yours.

Thanks
    No better time than now at your age to live where you dream to. It would be an awesome experience that I think any outdoor enthusiast would love to be able to say they have done. So do it now while your young and dont have a family or a lot of bills.

Thanks
    I'd counsel you the other way and say get school out of the way first. You have your whole life to spend time outdoors, use your college years to focus on a degree that can get you a high paying job you will enjoy. Lots of oilfield opportunities in Alaska that pay 5 times or more what law enforcement or wildlife biology makes. Both those jobs you will be broke or near it for much of your life by the time you pay off all your student loans and that's no fun. Bush plane charters are expensive to get out into the wild. Actually, that may be a good job for you if you are interested is a pilot. I'd suggest you get an engineering degree otherwise.

You could also easily work summers up there salmon fishing and make big bucks while going to school in the lower 48 . Not an easy job, but good opportunity to spend your summer in a great place.

Thanks
    I disagree with Doe Nob. You've got to live your life while you can LIVE it. I wouldn't skip going to college, but those Alaska schools will be just as good as any down here in the lower 48. Unless you're going to an Ivy League university, it really doesn't matter which college you attend.

I had a good time in college and I got my degrees, but I feel like I could have done so much more had I considered what I could do while in college, rather than just study, chase girls and hang out in the city.

Lastly, jobs are way more about who you know than what degree you have. I have more friends working at the Post Office and call centers with advanced degrees than you could imagine.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    i would say go up. and go to school up there. if you like it get a degree in like ndt or something oil feilds love them i have a friend that works on north slope and he gets like a lot of time off to do outdoor stuff. always been my dream but got cought up in rat race making money than taking risks.

Thanks
    Doe nob... really? I guess somebody needs to be the boring "voice of reason!" aka fun-hater...

Hey kid, GO NOW! Go to school up there, enjoy every minute of sleeping in crappy apartments, late night drives to hunt or fish (not all of Alaska is a roadless wilderness; in fact, you will be dismayed by the lack of solitude on the road system within 200 miles of Anchorage. That being said, there are a TON of opportunities not far off the beaten path, just like most places, not many people venture further than a few hundred yards off any road or trail.), eating anything you can find that isn't too rotten... etc. I lived in Alaska for two years and those are some of the best memories of my life. I did it when in my twenties and would do it all again in a heartbeat. You will probably never have enough money or time to do it "right" so do it now. The Commercial Fishing industry can be a great employment opportunity but making "big bucks" is not usually a foregone conclusion. I worked in that industry for two years and never made great money, in fact it was considered a success to break even by the time all the bills got paid. However, I made great and lifelong friends and a pile of memories that I cherish.

As for college? UAA, UAF, UAA Kodiak, are all great options and there are more colleges as well. Alaska Fish and Game hires college kids in the summers to man wiers for fish counting and various other ADF&G projects. Most of these are very remote and provide unlimited character building opportunities. Besides, they look cool on a resume, I can't count how many people have asked me about my "Alaska Job Experience" listed on my resume, and I'm a Middle School teacher.

"There is a time and place for everything, and it is called College!" That is tongue in cheek but still true. Carpe Diem young man!

I live exactly where I want to live and do exactly what I want to do for a career AND have a full time job in the summer that I love. Teaching is NOT a high paying career but is extremely satifying for me, being a flyfishing guide pays well and is a fun way to spend the summer. LIFE is NOT all about money! At the end of your days how will you be remembered? As someone who made a pile of money and never did anything interesting or as someone who, as Thoreau said, "lived deep and sucked the marrow from life." Someone who gave back, someone who inspired others, someone who lived their dreams, someone with no regrets?

I would not trade my time in the Great Land for anything. I did it in while I was in college and am glad I did it then so I was able to "suck the marrow" out of each and every experience. If we wait until we are "established" to do the things we dream of we may never get the chance. Life, women, children, careers, and sundry other things, like not being promised another second on this this crazy ride, all place demands on our energies and time once college is over. In the words of my whitetail fanatic brother upon being asked why he picked an Iowa college... "I can get a degree anywhere, I'm going someplace I can kill huge whitetails!"

Nuff Said, Go North Young Man!

Thanks
    Many europeans take 1 year post high school to travel etc... before starting college...

Perhaps take 1 year off and move to AK and work etc... probably would be a blast, most colleges would probably let you defer for a year if you told them you'd like to gain some "life experience" before beginning college.

could always start off at U of AK-anchorage too for 1 year...

Thanks
    North To Alaska!!

I was fortunate enough to move to Fairbanks at 18 years old, I was there for 6 years, courtesy of uncle sam and the USAF. Best time of my life. It's a huge step but you dont want to live your life with regrets. Alaska school systems are awesome, hunting opportunities are endless. Fishing is amazing. Can't say enough good things about the Last Frontier. 1 year left in the military and I'll be North bound and down.

Go For It!!!

Thanks
    Grizz said all that needs to be said, go for it and don't look back.