Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wyoming

Hybrid View

Thanks

wyoming

Hey all I have recently moved to wy and waited my year and I am now considerd a resident so I am going to try my first wy elk hunt I'm looking at area 37 does anyone have any experience with this area or info you would be willing to share I have Sep15-23 that I am free to do as I please it will be just my wife and myself we are both in excelent condition and not scared to put in the work needed we will be archery hunting I have only been in the area one time and that was just out on a Sunday drive any info you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated feel free to pm me thanx

Banned
    Thanks
    Don't take this the wrong way. You waited a year for this hunt, and you wait until now to ask questions? If I had been you, I would have joined this forum a year ago.

Thanks
    Yes I agree 100% I did not think I was gonna beable to go this year due to lack of time and money so I know I'm way behind the eight ball here not the best way to do it but i don't get much time off work so ill take what I can get and make it work

Thanks
    Dustin,
    Old Hunter is right but I feel for you, been hunting 37 for four years due to inability to draw a tag in my prefered area. That being said, look at the wilderness if it is still in the high temps... (cofeen park trailhead) hit the lower elevations on the face when it begins to snow. That is all I can tell you because that is how I've found elk. They can be difficult to find so be willing to spend lots of time covering ground that can be hard to access while listening for elk. Due to the heavy timber they will be difficult to spot from distance so your feet and ears are very important. A good Forest Service Map will be invaluable as well. Best of Luck.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, makes sense. I'm sure you'll get the help you need. I can help more if you come to Colorado to hunt.

Thanks
    Remember to hunt in wilderness areas you have to complete a Wyoming Hunter Safety course.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoflightmedic View Post
    Remember to hunt in wilderness areas you have to complete a Wyoming Hunter Safety course.
    On what page in the Wyoming hunting Regulations can I find this requirement?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoflightmedic View Post
    Thats a new one on me! I am old enough to not have a Hunter Safety requirement, I hunted in the Teton Wilderness last year and didn't need one. If you are a NR you need a "Resident " Guide or an Outfitter to hunt in a Wilderness area, don't see anything in the regs about Hunter Safety, only the requirement to have it to hunt if you were born after a certain date. Use old farts don't need it...can't read that good anyway....Ha!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Okay, got info during my sons HS class. It was wrong. On page 42 of Resident R and R it give born after date unless you are hunting area 75 and 79. But in hunters guide it stated area 75,77,and 79 reguardless of age. Non resident book it is on page 43. When I lived out of state in mid90s I called G and F about this and told them I had Wyo hunter safety, wanted to hunt wilderness in bighorns and was told I could not unless guided because I was no longer a resident. Sorry about misinfo.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Thats a new one on me! I am old enough to not have a Hunter Safety requirement, I hunted in the Teton Wilderness last year and didn't need one. If you are a NR you need a "Resident " Guide or an Outfitter to hunt in a Wilderness area, don't see anything in the regs about Hunter Safety, only the requirement to have it to hunt if you were born after a certain date. Use old farts don't need it...can't read that good anyway....Ha!
    CC you crack me up!