Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

x5b, your thoughts?

Pretty bleak situation for our best zone in the state right now, as about 70% of the zone went up in smoke a few weeks back. If something doesnt get done about the invasives, the deer population will plummet. The USFS and BLM dont factor deer numbers into their $$$$$$$. That zone relies on hunters to come up, hunt, and fuel their economy. I really dont see a light at the end of this tunnel, and it worries me that DFG wont be proactive in seeing what im seeing. It will take years for this herd to rebound, and the quotas will plummet as well. Is there any group or agency that would benefit from keeping the invasives out, as to let the natural sage benefit from this fire? This is an ugly tipping point, and it just plain sucks to be in this predicament. Im always the pessimist in situations like this, can somebody give me reason not to be?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Boss,
    I'd take a look at X3A and X4. If I didn't burn my 3 pts on X12 this year I'd be putting in for X3A next year from what I saw and learned on my lope hunt there in August. A lot of friendly land owner's there too...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don, the best of luck to ya' in 12. Great place to spend some time in the fall. Hunted it a few years back, a couple times as camp cook, and we always saw animals. Lots of legwork, but thats CA! Bring plenty of water, a sharp blade, and a strong back,,,,,3 small pieces, that could be the difference between heaven and hell! Enjoy your hunt, be safe, and bring back some pics.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live here in 5b, you will be fine their are plenty of deer around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with you 100% but I think you are overthinking a little. When it comes to blm and dfg. You are right. But those deer are already back in there. The way that fire burned left them tons of drainages to escape in which they did. And for vegetation? You should see the new growth that is already. Covered the land. In my opinion this will help the herd. It will keep a lot of people out of there for a while and new. And more vegetation. We will just have to see. Basically. Don't count out x5b for some monster bucks cuz they are still in there thriving

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BossBrott View Post
    Don, the best of luck to ya' in 12. Great place to spend some time in the fall. Hunted it a few years back, a couple times as camp cook, and we always saw animals. Lots of legwork, but thats CA! Bring plenty of water, a sharp blade, and a strong back,,,,,3 small pieces, that could be the difference between heaven and hell! Enjoy your hunt, be safe, and bring back some pics.
    Thanks Boss !
    Got back last night. Saw a few small bucks in Bodie Hills. Hunted Buckeye first day. Bodie the next 4 days basically. On the last evening about hour before dark a nice 4x4 w/eye gaurds about 20 to 22 in. got up and started coming down the mtn. in front of me. It was getting dark quick. I wanted my son to shoot it but never got close enough. He hung up and started feeding at 630 yds.. It was getting dark quick. I did my calculations but never have shot over 550 yds.. It was up hill too.. I held where I thought. Shot high. He just walked about 20 yds.. Shot again. He just walked uphill to top and dissapeared. I told my son I've got to go to the top to make sure. I knew for fact I didn't hit him. It got dark half way up other side. I got to top and looked around with flashlite/headlamp. I saw where he dissapeared. The rock ridge line was two separate ridges that overlapped... Maybe I'll see him or another nice one when I go back on 10/4 to the end on 10/8. You were right on the leg work ! If I was ever going to have a heart attack, it would of happened going up that mtn. ! I left my water next to the rock I shot from and remembered when I started up the other side. Thank God My son didn't pick it up when we hooked up on way back or I'd of had to go thirsty a little longer. I was carring 2 big water bottles the whole time except that evening because I wanted to go light for a short hunt...At least I took my spotting scope that time !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don, was there alot of hunting pressure where you were at?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No. Not at all. Not even in Bodie Hills which Is popular. Maybe the hot weather? Only 760 tags helps. May have been 820 this year . I forgot. Showed estimated 44% success last year. They had a snow storm right at end of season which probably helped. My friend who killed the big lope in same zone as me packed into X9B with two of his horses and a mule opening weekend and saw 5 bucks up high. One was a 22 in. 4x3 he almost pulled the trigger on. He killed a nice buck there last yr. He's going back the last few days. Me too. 10/4 to 10/8 end of season and drive back the 9th.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe you'll get some good weather when you head back up for the end of the season. It's always hard hunting in the heat
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hope so ! My son and I got pretty sunburned.!we wore brimmed hats and long sleeves too. Hopefully I'll see a nice buck in the morning and not last light !