Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I second arrowslingers remarks on Rivers West. Great gear for in a tree stand, a blind, or on horseback but not for hiking with. Too much material and hold water like mad.

I'll put my vote behind the Sitka jacket for an all around jacket, but the Russel one for bow hunting. It is just that much quieter in the brush on a stalk.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got the Russell Gale jacket too. The feel/fit/look is quality. I haven't had a chance to field test it yet. i also have the Storm Cloth II hooded jacket. It is waterproof and light weight, but doesn't offer much warmth or wind protection. Also, the useless black fleece patches suck up water and take much longer to dry than the jacket material.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you have to put kuiu in this discussion also. All the reviews so far are great, I can't wait to get mine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great!... thought i had my mind made up and you throw another stick on the fire.

I will have a look for sure... thanks for sharing.

Edit: Which jacket did you buy and why?
    Last edited by RobinHood; 04-03-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yea I was looking at Sitka and Russell till I heard about KUIU. I sent a pm about my choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Avoid Rivers West - too heavy and will not breathe at all. I like my Sitka 90%, but I may have to give KUIU a try as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love all my Russell Stuff, Sold all my Sitka stuff and was able to buy the whole line of Russell and still had money leftover to get another pack. The Gale jacket is as good as any thing Sitka makes.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I tried on a bunch of jackets and went on a few good reviews from the net and decided on a KUIU Guide Jacket. The fit is awesome. I am 6'1" 185 lbs and the large is perfect. The tail is long and there is enough room underneath for layering.

Couldnt be happier. It appears to be quality stuff. Here in Vegas it is a little warm to be trying stuff out, but excied to get it out and have at it this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Rivers West jacket and I would use it if the weather turned bad... we don't have all that many bad Sept days though... a few from time to time, but in Oregon it's pretty much warm and too dry until late season. The stuff is waterproof for sure. I wear it West side in the rain and it's always done a good job of keeping me dry. Some people say they get real sweaty in it, but I must move slower than most guys I guess. If it was raining or snowing hard enough, I doubt I'd be hiking enough to sweat in the thing.. I don't know...

Most of my trips are Eastern Oregon and drier than a popcorn fart so it hasn't been a problem either way.... but the Rivers West stuff would work in my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Twojump View Post
    I have a Rivers West jacket and I would use it if the weather turned bad... we don't have all that many bad Sept days though... a few from time to time, but in Oregon it's pretty much warm and too dry until late season. The stuff is waterproof for sure. I wear it West side in the rain and it's always done a good job of keeping me dry. Some people say they get real sweaty in it, but I must move slower than most guys I guess. If it was raining or snowing hard enough, I doubt I'd be hiking enough to sweat in the thing.. I don't know...

Most of my trips are Eastern Oregon and drier than a popcorn fart so it hasn't been a problem either way.... but the Rivers West stuff would work in my opinion.
    I don't know... I hunt in Oregon as well and hunt up high. I have been snow on during opening week the last 2 years in a row, and gotten snowed on at least once in every bow season I can remember during september. I hunt no matter what the weather is, and I used a rivers west jacket for two seasons before getting rid of it. Absolutely didn't cut it for me, and I was miserable many a time. I moved up to sitka and am in the process of field testing some of their stuff now. So far it has been way better though. I do still keep my rivers west stuff for late season blacktail hunts, but I dont use it in the backcountry anymore.