Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jacket of Choice for Backpack Hunts

I am looking for "THE" jacket for backpack hunts. These suckers are expensive and I want to buy a good one and only do it once. I am looking for a jacket that is good in all situations, is durable, and warm. That way I only have to worry about packing in one jacket for the trip.

I have a quality base layer, but struggled with my coat last year. This year I am upgrading. I have narrowed it to three, but wanted some opinions on what everyone is using.

ASAT Outdoors Elite Ultimate Jacket http://www.lancasterarchery.com/prod...ducts_id=11989

Sitka JetStream http://www.sitkagear.com/products/op...stream-jacket/

Russel APxG L4 http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ID=4004&r=view

Any thoughts or suggestions about other jackets are welcome. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sure hope everyone has good things to say about the Gale because I just bought one. Its a bit heavy but the fit and quality is great...can't wait to get it out in the weather.
    Christian/Father/Husband/Hunter/NRA Life Benefactor /GOA Life Member/American/USAF NCO

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Really hard to beat Sitka Jetstream or the 90% jacket for backpack hunts in my opinion. I still pack a down jacket for a pillow and for those days when the temps really plummet and im mostly just glassing.
    Nick

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd go with any coat from Rivers West.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mthuntress View Post
    I have a rivers west jacket, and I would not recommend it for backpack hunting. They are waterproof, but they also get heavy when they are really wet, and they take forever to dry. If it pours all day, it won't be dry after sitting in a tree overnight, and then when you cram it into your pack the next day when the weather is nice, it will still be wet and it will get the inside of the jacket wet. Then you will have a damp jacket to wear for a couple of days. Also I have one of their "heavier" jackets, and while it is very warm while moving (because they dont breathe) it is not warm while sitting and glassing. I have switched to sitka after being miserable in my Rivers West gear in the backcountry for a couple of years, and the sitka quality is far better, and the gear is far more effective. Rivers west stuff is definately water proof, and I use it for blacktail hunting still, but it is not meant for the backcountry in my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I chose a wolfskin jacket made by gray wolf woolens. The BEST choice I've made. Lightweight (wolfskin), wind proof, hood, sheds water in heavy downpours, breaths, and has a draw string to cinch around chest (for bowhunters). Best of all, it comes in Predator camouflage.

www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mthuntress View Post
    This looks like good stuff and reasonably priced. What products have you used or have experience with?

Quote Originally Posted by BOHNTR View Post
    I chose a wolfskin jacket made by gray wolf woolens. The BEST choice I've made. Lightweight (wolfskin), wind proof, hood, sheds water in heavy downpours, breaths, and has a draw string to cinch around chest (for bowhunters). Best of all, it comes in Predator camouflage.

www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php
    Did you go with a custom made jacket like this one http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store...&cat=20&page=1
    or did you go with a different model?

IS that jacket stout enough to take on a bow hunt in August and and elk hunt in November?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I gave them my dimensions (Outfitter series). I chose the Wofskin unlined jacket with the wind barrier. More than warm enough for me with silk underwear and mountain shirt. I've used in the high-country in Aug/Sep and temperatures in teens in December. The lined jacket is supposedly very warm......but you may cook in it if you're hiking, etc.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i got the apxg2 gale jacket for christmas. i love the thing. it is very quiet and pretty warm. probably the most comfy jacket i own. i will be buying more apxg2 products befor this next season comes!
    Go to lintonoutdoors.com they have the gale jacket on sale right now for $79.99!! thats a screaming deal!!!
    Last edited by 300Weatherby; 03-19-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't remember the model {SORRY}I take the tags off and I've had it for 6 years now.I now it's in the H2P line and it was rated for 35 to 60 degrees but I've had the same jacket on at a -45 with out windchill and walking around with the zipper half way unzipped.The plus for me was that it was waterproof the company ment it As I said I've had it for 6 years and when I'm in the down pour of rain/snow I still don't get wet at all.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!