Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts

Antelope Questions

I drew a unit 404 antelope tag this year. Due to a very busy hunting schedule this year I can't get to Montana until the end of the season, around the first week of November. After reading the last issue of EHJ I'm concerned if the bucks will be dropping their horns by then? I've never hunted antelope that late so it never crossed my mind. The article said to plan your hunt before October 25th to ensure the horns aren't dropping yet. Do I need to worry about this? When do Montana antelope usually start dropping horns in Montana?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 3 Posts
    Antelope do start dropping at the end of October here in Montana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great area you got, but finding a buck that has not dropped with be hard. If it was me I would do what ever I can to come sooner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After reading these replies this morning I worked it out to take a little extra time off work between two other October hunts to head up to Montana. Thanks for the info! Guess I need to start planning the hunt now...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When hunting the SE around the 10-15th of Oct., I have found a loose horn on some bucks, most not though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the help. I ended up not going to Montana after all. I reluctantly ate the tag... My wife needed me home (although she said I could go) and I had just gotten back from a successful moose hunt and previously shot a really nice antelope with my bow back in August here in Colorado. I was trying to squeeze it in before I left for a mule deer hunt. Just didn't work out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    and previously shot a really nice antelope with my bow back in August here in Colorado.
    Did you post pics of your bow goat? Public/Private? I've been working on figuring out the OTC archery antelope opportunities there, can't justify the higher tag cost vs. your neighbors to the east based on what I know so far.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    Did you post pics of your bow goat? Public/Private? I've been working on figuring out the OTC archery antelope opportunities there, can't justify the higher tag cost vs. your neighbors to the east based on what I know so far.
    I never posted any pictures of my goat. I guess I could. It was on public land. I saw him in a popular camping area July 4th weekend and kept tabs on him throughout the summer. He had 16 does with him every time I saw him. I took him spot and stalk with a little bit of luck. I had him at 80 yards opening day but the doe's spooked and took him with. I came back a week or so later and was able to glass him up and stalk to within 40 yds. He scored right at 79 B&C green gross.

I'm not sure what you mean by "can't justify the higher tag cost vs. your neighbors to the east based on what I know so far."???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I mean that as a non-resident there are cheaper OTC archery tags (SD $285, NE $177, CO $334) and a good amount of public land in Nebraska and South Dakota, I hunted both states for antelope this year with tons of opportunity. Didn't see many if any goats quite that big though, that's a great archery trophy you got, would enjoy seeing pics.

When I'm looking at where to go, Colorado is an interesting option, but its a little more expensive and I don't have the public land dialed in like I do in those other 2 states is what I meant. I know the CNG could be a very good place to go, just haven't explored it yet.

Next year its not relevant for me as one of my compatriots and I are burning our Wyoming antelope points, but I AM going to Durango to try and arrow a pesky bruin. I'll keep going as long as I'm able, and the way point creep is happening everywhere, I will probably get to do my back up hunts (OTC archery deer and antelopes) many times in the next ten years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh, I see. Public land in antelope country is a lot harder to come by then public land in deer & elk country. It's out there but definitely takes a little work to figure out IMO.