Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma elk

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oklahoma elk

Has anyone seen or heard if they have started chasing cows in ok yet? Im not sure if anyone on here hunts in ok or lives here other than myself!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in OKC but have never hunted Elk in OK. I know the just had a meeting last week with land owners in western OK about some getting out of normal ranges. The wildlife dept wanted the landowners to keep them advised if they see them!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, Ive been hunting them for 2 years now and we have lucked out and taken 2 bulls and a cow! I know people in that area that have seen very large herds cross the roads before!!! They can be such a prob to land owners that they get cow deprivation tags sometimes!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    wait a sec wut area are yal talking about i live 3 miles from the texas line in sweetwater,ok and they arent any elk here for sure, yal talkin bout the lawton area in the mts??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, dying to kill. They are north of lawton all the way over close to rosevelt, ok! I think there are 3 different main heards. the wichita mtn. wildlife refuge/ fort sill herd the granite hills herd and the slick hills herd. I personally hunt the slick hills herd. Its pretty tough because its all private land and is pretty hard to get on them most of the time! They are either on the property or not! If you see them on the property you can hunt you better get on them quick or they are off limits!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to (as in 2 weeks ago) work for the Kimbell family of Wichita Falls, Tx who owns the 20,000 acres next to the wildlife refuge where they kill nice bulls every year. Back in the 80's they killed a 360" bull with a bow on their ranch. They also killed a 175" and 200" whitetail in 2010.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Brady there are some monsters on that place!!! Ive watched them from the mountain that we hunt on! 2 years ago I saw a big 7x7 but he stayed out at about a mile!!! I hope this year they move in on the place I hunt! My freezer is getting empty! If you will pm me I have a couple of questions for ya! Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a ranch in cimarron county. We have a few that come around ever year. Last year had a 330'sh bull and 280'sh bull wearing out my alafafa, Okla Dept of Wildlife is pretty good about CD permits but only give out Cow tags. Instead of CD permits I wish they would just open the county up with a season like some of the core counties that are open now. I've put in for the main state draw for WM and Still ever year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I lived in waynoka for a little while texans42 and I heard stories of a guy that shot a bull and tried to check it in and got caught!!! It didnt turn out well for him!!! He said he thought it was a big deer! Not the brightest star in the sky!!lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
    I have a ranch in cimarron county. We have a few that come around ever year. Last year had a 330'sh bull and 280'sh bull wearing out my alafafa, Okla Dept of Wildlife is pretty good about CD permits but only give out Cow tags. Instead of CD permits I wish they would just open the county up with a season like some of the core counties that are open now. I've put in for the main state draw for WM and Still ever year.
    yeah iv been puttin in for the elk tags also with no luck im pretty sure they have turned that tag into a once in lifetime tag. also to brady are you crazy throwin them kinda measurement numbers on the internet about oklahoma will have every tom dick and hairy down here!!