Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First Post and Region Y Advice

Hi everybody!

I've been an Eastmans subscriber for years but just recently started looking over the forum...lots of good "up-to-date" info for a flat-lander that can't be out there monitoring the mountain, thanks!

I'm a Marine combat vet (Three tours OEF/OIF 1999-2005). I've been dreaming of hunting the Northern Bighorns with my father ever since my last combat tour in '05 but college/career etc. always seemed to take precedence. This year I was able to commit to an Oct general deer tag in Reg Y. We are planning on being in WY from Oct 12 thru Oct 22. My father and I know the Bighorns quite well for non-residents due to camping/fly fishing trips many years ago...and would like to concentrate our hunting in unit 25 if the weather allows (Love to set up base camp near N. Tongue R.). Is this too high for the Muleys at that time of year or should we be concentrating on a lower elevation unit? Units we'll be able to hunt include...25,27,28,30,32,33,163,169. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sent you a PM. Just got back from the Bighorns on Sunday.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How did you end up doing mnhunter?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We saw some nice deer. The main focus of the hunt was to scout out our plans A, B, and C. between the three areas we saw 1-190"+ (biggest deer I have ever seen on the hoof, and he was on public), 3-170s, 2-160s, and 12-15 in the 120-150 range. We really didn't have time to focus in on any of the bucks with a bow since we had so much scouting to get done. We could have shot any of the 170's with a rifle.

Friday evening I saw the 190 at last light dropping down between some rimrock, and with my bad luck I got a flat driving back to camp after dark, so the next morning we had to creep the truck out the mountains to avoid getting another flat and get the tire fixed for the drive home on Sunday. I was sick driving out of the mountains that morning, I wanted to hunt him so bad on Saturday.

The goal of the trip was to scout our different plans, so mission accomplished. I have never shot a muley with a bow, so I am thinking of skipping rifle season next year and burning all of my vacation on bow season. We saw so many, more, and bigger deer on this last trip.

Rifle season is really dependant on the weather. In my eyes you have 2 options during the rifle season on public land: a low percentage hunt in/around the timber for big boys or a higher percentage hunt for smaller bucks on the fringes and out in the sage. The other option is private land.

For those of you with a new F150, the stock tires are just oversized car tires, I learned the hard way.

Huskyhunter, we are almost neighbors, you originally from STC?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sent you a pm