Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    I agree with you Ikeepitcold. I'm not sure if telling a lot of folks about the exact drainage, basins or honey holes you want to keep more private and then have to wait five years sounds like a very good option to me. I guess you have two options though that you have already mentioned, sad but true. Hunt it or don't hunt it. If it were me, I guess I'd weigh out how blown out it is with folks that might make you want to hunt it the same, maybe hunt it different or like you've already mentioned find a plan B area to hunt. What other options are there?

Most of the times I'm just pretty general about public hunting spots, hunting units, national forest or wilderness areas. If I've hunted a private ranch or leased some land to hunt, I'll again share the general area but not the actual spot(s) on the lease. I guess if someone was a good detective they could perhaps match a picture to the spot but that would be a pretty good detective.

With fishing spots, I've told folks the exact spots, even made youtube clips showing them where to fish and what to us a a lure for the CA DFG "California Heritage Trout Challenge". Most of the places I go are several miles into wilderness areas….. and well I just don't think they get over fished even if I tell folks where and show them pictures of the trout. People tend not to want to walk very far off the beaten path for fish like I do.

I hope your area works out for you Ikeepitcold. It can't be very much fun seeing an area where you have gone for years and not seen a sole in it and now see it full of folks. The time factor to scout a new spot has to suck as well. My hope is perhaps the folks that you saw in your area won't see it's potential

like you have and do and they will move on and hunt a different spot. One never knows…..
    Thanx Kevin. I have hoped that these hunters would have moved on but it seems there are more and more each year. If these hunters are the same guys I don't know. I kinda don't think they are because this area is a better late season hunt but during the past years I've seen some nice bucks in the velvet. From what I've heard a lot of these hunters have heard from bird hunters that there are big buks here and that's how they have found the area. I think these hunters are not harvesting bucks but if they see them they will continue to try to draw tags in the area. This year my hunting partners both drew tags for this spot so we will give it another try. We also plan on a scouting trip to a mt range accrosed they valley. Maybe we can find a new spot in the same area. The tags are 1:3 so it's pretty easy to draw.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hate to say this, but I don't think hunting forums is always a good idea. I went most on my life never on a forum. Well, they didn't even have computers for most of it.
    Since starting to post on forums. I see way too much information passed around. I'm from the old school of getting out and doing it myself. Hunters have gotten way to lazy. Boots were made to wear out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I hate to say this, but I don't think hunting forums is always a good idea. I went most on my life never on a forum. Well, they didn't even have computers for most of it.
    Since starting to post on forums. I see way too much information passed around. I'm from the old school of getting out and doing it myself. Hunters have gotten way to lazy. Boots were made to wear out.
    Again I so agree. I have alway been a firm believer in scouting and finding your own spot. I know for a fact that I tell people the general unit I hunt in but that is as far as it goes. I've even been asked by very close family members were I hunt and I tell them a totally different place.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It kind of depends -- Is a guy using the internet in place of scouting? Or is he using it to make his scouting more effective? I'm sure there are both types on every hunting forum. Either way, I wouldn't give out any info on line that I wouldn't give to someone in person.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dad and I tell NO ONE where we hunt. My best friends have no clue about our secrect spots. The less people that know the better. I have had guys on here PM about location and I never give up jack. They always start with a classic "I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some genereal advice" then the PM start after that. If you have a good spot, you had better keep it to yourself.

If it was your buddy, I hope you gave him a good ass chewing about that sh*t. Hopefully you can find another good spot.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    My dad and I tell NO ONE where we hunt. My best friends have no clue about our secrect spots. The less people that know the better. I have had guys on here PM about location and I never give up jack. They always start with a classic "I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some genereal advice" then the PM start after that. If you have a good spot, you had better keep it to yourself.

If it was your buddy, I hope you gave him a good ass chewing about that sh*t. Hopefully you can find another good spot.
    I think he go it now that he has the tag this year and knows the pressure that the deer have now. There are still big bucks in my spot but they are very hard to find. I'm up for the challenge but it was a few good years of 170" bucks every year we drew and passed up many 160" bucks each year now we are luck to see a 150" buck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think You shot all the deer out of there!! Lol jk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If it is a place I don't plan on hunting again very soon I'm more likely to share some info. I don't mind sharing info w another hunter if they can share back or better yet already have their spot. Otherwise I'm only going to mention a nearby town, but not the nearest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can understand where you're coming from but also am a firm believer that EVERYONE can use some help once in awhile. Like others have said, it depends a lot too on how much you personally hunt that area. If it is a general area you hunt every year and you have a honeyhole then yea I completely understand wanting to keep it to yourself and I do the exact same thing.

Getting some general info about a certain unit though can help a ton when trying to research where to hunt. Old Hunter you were very helpful when I asked you about a unit in CO. I didn't want to know where you hunted but the info you gave me validated a lot of what I was thinking about hunting there.

Anyways, sorry IKIC to hear about your predicament. Sucks when that stuff happens. Wish I had some good advice for you but I don't.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NDHunter For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have no problum in helping other hunters even in the same area I hunt in. I just dot say exactly were my spot is. Heck I've talked about my area and have taken enough pics I've posted that I'm sure someone if they really wanted to could figure it out. Ive given up my favorite Elk honey holes, Antelope and even a couple of my Deer spots but never this one. I figure it couldn't last forever but I hoped it would have lasted a few years more. I hope that I can take my kid there in a few years and the hunting will be like it used to be. If not I know I will have found another till then.