Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,862
    Thanks
    718
    Thanked 480 Times in 329 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I think You shot all the deer out of there!! Lol jk
    Honestly I have thought alot about this. How many years can an area afford to give up great bucks till the big ones are gone? I don't have a clue. But I've thought maybe it has been myself and the guys I hunt with. And that's only the deer I know that have been taken. Can 3-4 160"+ bucks be taken from a area year after year and still be able to continue to produce more of the same caliber of deer each year? Say for the past 5 years?

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They might be there in your area. But do they know what you know? patterns.. trails.. bedding areas and times of day where they are? I hate seeing other hunters I usually try to avoid all people. But they still have to Out shoot you and out hunt you.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buena Vista, Co.
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They don't need any talent to move the game out of the area.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It depends on how many smaller bucks you see in the area while hunting. If you are passing/seeing several 140" bucks then you are likely to keep seeing big deer in your area the following years. If you have a group of guys come in that start shooting the smaller bucks, that will prolly mean a decline in big buck numbers in the following years. They don't get to 180" if you shoot them @ 160"

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IMO, keep that spot to yourself and your friend!

    Hunters come and go all the time. Of all the hunters I come across every year I would say 5-10% are repeats and the rest are just out to get out. Unless they have found your exact honey hole and have seen and know what you know, there is a good chance they may not come back. If your hunting the same area then it is probably more of an easy draw and for the past few years NV has gotten soo much publicity it is crazy. Keep your spot a secret and give it a few years, I bet those guys will bail out and you could have it to yourself again soon.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jackson, CA
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 99 Times in 95 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JNDEER View Post
    IMO, keep that spot to yourself and your friend!

    Hunters come and go all the time. Of all the hunters I come across every year I would say 5-10% are repeats and the rest are just out to get out. Unless they have found your exact honey hole and have seen and know what you know, there is a good chance they may not come back. If your hunting the same area then it is probably more of an easy draw and for the past few years NV has gotten soo much publicity it is crazy. Keep your spot a secret and give it a few years, I bet those guys will bail out and you could have it to yourself again soon.
    I would have to agree. Last year we went into our favorite spot for the bow season opener. There were close to 20 camps where there only used to be about 4 and they managed to run everything out of the country. After saying we weren't going to hunt there this year we decided to take a ride in there opening weekend. To our surprise there were only about 5 camps and we got into quite a few deer again. Stick with your spot IKIC.

  7. #27
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,862
    Thanks
    718
    Thanked 480 Times in 329 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    It depends on how many smaller bucks you see in the area while hunting. If you are passing/seeing several 140" bucks then you are likely to keep seeing big deer in your area the following years. If you have a group of guys come in that start shooting the smaller bucks, that will prolly mean a decline in big buck numbers in the following years. They don't get to 180" if you shoot them @ 160"
    That's the thing we see lots of young deer plenty of small 4x4s and 3x3s but nothing mature anymore in the 5-7 year range. We're in the passed say 6 years hunting there with the exception on the last 3 we would see multiple 170"-190" 5-7 year old bucks. And when I say multiple I mean 5-6 in the 160" range to 2-4 in the 170"+ range without looking real hard. What boggles my mind is where are all theses bucks we have seen that should be closed to being mature?

  8. #28
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,862
    Thanks
    718
    Thanked 480 Times in 329 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JNDEER View Post
    IMO, keep that spot to yourself and your friend!

    Hunters come and go all the time. Of all the hunters I come across every year I would say 5-10% are repeats and the rest are just out to get out. Unless they have found your exact honey hole and have seen and know what you know, there is a good chance they may not come back. If your hunting the same area then it is probably more of an easy draw and for the past few years NV has gotten soo much publicity it is crazy. Keep your spot a secret and give it a few years, I bet those guys will bail out and you could have it to yourself again soon.

    I'm really counting on your opinion. I hope it is true.

  9. #29
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,862
    Thanks
    718
    Thanked 480 Times in 329 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsmallfield View Post
    I would have to agree. Last year we went into our favorite spot for the bow season opener. There were close to 20 camps where there only used to be about 4 and they managed to run everything out of the country. After saying we weren't going to hunt there this year we decided to take a ride in there opening weekend. To our surprise there were only about 5 camps and we got into quite a few deer again. Stick with your spot IKIC.
    Thanx. I think we are going to hit our spot for the opener and a day or two after before we go into new country. Also my partner will be out a few days before looking over some new areas too since we know where the deer have been in the past.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,495
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 144 Times in 126 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I don't worry about it. I find hunters where I hunt but I know where the deer are. Most of these people don't have a clue. I went after a 3x4 after 5 quads went by him on the mountain. I knew where he was but he ended up getting spooked. I also scout and most people don't so scouting key. Also not all of us archery guys are going to take a buck if any are like me.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "honey hole!"
    By Eberle in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM
  2. Headed to the Honey Hole
    By Ikeepitcold in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM
  3. how's everyone's scouting?
    By beav906 in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
  4. Honey Hole Trail Cam Pic.'s
    By N.Y.ArcheryMadMan in forum Wildlife and Landscapes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM
  5. What is everyone's plan this year.
    By Firearrow in forum Bowhunting
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •