Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What memorable things have you seen while hunting?

On a lot of my hunts, the things I see while hunting accentuate the memory. Seeing a couple of antelope bucks fight 50 yards from you while oblivious to your presence; seeing a bobcat or a lion, watching two bulls spar, etc.

This year while bear hunting, my partner and I watched a small black bear feeding in the Gambel Oak. It had climbed to the top of the trees and looks like Tarzan, clinging to the violently swaying small branches while trying to stuff more acorns in his mouth. We decided to watch the show for a bit...

The bear climbed down and started feeding on the dropped acorns for a bit. We noticed that it had an ear tag. A juvenile delinquent apparently. Suddenly the little guy bolted at top speed. We thought it had been frightened by something, but had to laugh when it simply sprinted to the nearest pine for a scratch. The return trip to the acorns was made at the same speed. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.

If you have a memorable or funny sideshow to share, please post it up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A couple years ago while bow hunting for elk I had a mountain goat cross a beaver dam in front of me. When I told told a guy from the forest service, he kept trying to tell me it was a sheep, and I told him sheep aren't white with little black horns

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    The memorable moments from hunts are definitely the best!
    I have watched two bucks sparring and do oblivious to everything around them, they almost ran straight into my car.
    Watched a calf elk last year play in the little stream. Took everything in me to not busy out laughing while this little thing is spinning circles and jumping in the water.
    The other day while I was deer huntin I saw a doe beat the crap out of a spike.
    My most memorable moment though has to be one year while I was elk hunting, we had stopped on top of a hill to glass and as we were looking across the hill we saw a truck speeding down the road, slam on his brakes and a guy jumped out and started running down towards a large rock pile a little ways down the hill. Me, being the optimistic person I am was thinking he saw some elk over by where I was and maybe I just couldn't see them because they were so close or something. So I was real quiet trying to listen real closely to everything around me and I was looking all around and when I saw and heard nothing I decided to look back over at the dude and see if I could tell a little better where he was looking. So I looked back across the canyon to study the guy, only to realize he was only down in the rocks to take a #2. I was very sorry that I decided to look back..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    I have an image of a 200 inch Mule Deer in full velvet staring me down over his nose through the Quakies at 40 yards! I think that will be burned up there forever!!!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    The memorable moments from hunts are definitely the best!
    I have watched two bucks sparring and do oblivious to everything around them, they almost ran straight into my car.
    Watched a calf elk last year play in the little stream. Took everything in me to not busy out laughing while this little thing is spinning circles and jumping in the water.
    The other day while I was deer huntin I saw a doe beat the crap out of a spike.

My most memorable moment though has to be one year while I was elk hunting, we had stopped on top of a hill to glass and as we were looking across the hill we saw a truck speeding down the road, slam on his brakes and a guy jumped out and started running down towards a large rock pile a little ways down the hill. Me, being the optimistic person I am was thinking he saw some elk over by where I was and maybe I just couldn't see them because they were so close or something. So I was real quiet trying to listen real closely to

everything around me and I was looking all around and when I saw and heard nothing I decided to look back over at the dude and see if I could tell a little better where he was looking. So I looked back across the canyon to study the guy, only to realize he was only down in the rocks to take a #2. I was very sorry that I decided to look back..
    Bahahhahahah

I have this memorie of reading about some dude that took a dump by a rock and Jen saw him!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    My most memorable moments have been to be with my wife while she took her first Mule deer and antelope and with my daughter taking her first Antelope by far these have been the most amazing things and proud moments I have ever had while hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    for me it's mostly about cruising the west in a truck with my dad... seeing beautiful parts of this country that most will never see or know exist...

also when we get on some game, kinda get "on the hunt" or "on the trail" and kinda get in the zone and start doing some real hunting, things seem to change, it's like you're a real man... doing what we do, connecting with nature/humanity/or whatever... it's probably about 5% of the time spent hunting, ie... "real hunting"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good stories!! Jen's got me rolling!! That is funny.

One other good one was a friend and I watched a pair of Golden Eagles trying to split a muley fawn off it's mother. One would ease in towards the youngster, effortlessly riding the thermals; then when mom would take a run toward it the other eagle would come from the other way. A couple of times the fawn freaked and bolted out of the oaks so mom had to hurry after it. Eventually, the deer made it into the trees and got away unscathed.

This all took place quite a bit uphill from us, and frankly it took us quite a while to figure out what was going on. What a show.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Greatest funny moment..

Me and my wife were watching a meadow.. 2 does came out. 1 doe looked around and charged the edges of the meadow.. Then she just started prancing around all spazzing off. Then she started bouncing around as fast as possible just totally spazzing in different directions. She hit a ditch and went ass end over tea kettle.. me and my wife busted up laughing out loud.. the doe got up turned around and looked at the ditch - Like you bastard- Than started bouncing again..

Seriously I still get a chuckle thinking about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 6 Posts
    Most memorable recent hunt from this year was from last week. I took my 7 year old boy with me on an elk hunt for an evening, and he talked me into letting him take his sling shot. After we made a quick little ground blind out of some logs, he was intently watching and listening for every little movement. It wasn't long, and a chipmunk came scurrrying out about 15 yards away, and my boy just looked at me with those eyes that a father just knows, and I just gave him the up and down nod. He pulled back the rock and let her fly and missed the chipmunk by probably 5 feet, but boy was he excited. He kept on saying that he thought he got him, and you would have thought he just shot a B&C bull. Nothing like taking your little ones out to he field with you whenever you get a chance!!
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy