Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    I have an image of a 200 inch Mule Deer in full velvet staring me down over his nose through the Quakies at 40 yards! I think that will be burned up there forever!!!
    How big is that Antelope? with a bow? in NV? looks nice!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Back in 2000, I had just turned 12. My step dad and I went to Wyoming deer hunting. We hiked in deep and were set up glassing a hillside for hours. When out of nowhere we hear a tree start making some noise. This went on for about a minute then all the sudden this tree just falls over., No wind, Tree had no damage, Just falls...To this day one I still cant believe it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It has to be the day I saw some movement on top of a 9,000 foot ridge and pulled up my binocs only to to see 2 people completely naked. NOT COOL PEOPLE! Put your pants on!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My Dad had the same thing happen to him. He sat in "my" spot under "my" tree one day and it fell over. He had to hold it up a bit and grab his rifle to get it and him out of the way. It was about a 12" pine snag, about 15' tall. Luckily it broke off about 3 feet off the ground so I still have a back rest!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Deer: Has to be the MD buck (nice old buck) I saw walking on his knees, sneaking away on his belly! Or, maybe the time where I watched my grandpa walk down a ridge and counted 7 bucks within 50 yards of him! I was watching in the spotting scope a ridge over, ready for him to shoot as he passed by each one, one by one, all the way down the hill. Funny thing is, he walked so slow and deliberate that he didn't spook a one! We got back to the pickup and I asked why he didn't shoot and he said that he never saw a thing! His eyesight wasn't too good (obviously). He never believed me when I told him, he is gone now. I sure wish I could walk in the woods like he could!

Elk: Dad dropped me off in a CRP field and took off on the road that paralleled as I walked through the field to the edge of a big drainage. In the CRP a big spike bull pops up out of nowhere and takes off towards the road on a dead run. The bull try’s to jump the fence, gets a little to low, and does a summersault, head over heels, in the bar ditch landing it the road. At the same time, my dad is driving down the road and nearly runs off the road trying to miss the spike! You just can't make that stuff up. I was deer hunting btw, Elk opened the next day!

Dad and I were in the forest, pretty much in the middle of no-where, taking a break. We hear something coming up on us, we kind of get our guns ready and out pops guy with a purple sunburned face from the sun and berries. The guy was from Britain, with a strong British accent, he says that he started in Mexico and was making his way up the divide (it was September). When he left, he said “Cheerio”, we had so much fun on that hunt saying “Cheerio” after that! One tough dude.

Found two spots where the Indians used to camp and make arrowheads, chips scattered all over, thousands. The rock came from somewhere else because that rock wasn’t found where the chips were.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    After over 50 years of hunting and fishing I suppose I could fill a book!

One year (don't remember which one) I was in Wyoming hunting antelope with my son and father inlaw. We were in camp in the evening getting dinner ready and I saw a couple of Golden Eagles just hovering stationary over some sage on a ridge. I got my binos and watched them as they swirled around in the wind. Suddenly a jack rabbit ran out and up it went to the next pile of brush. One of the eagles landed and stomped around flapping it's wings and made the jack run again. The other eagle was hovering stationary in the wind right over the brush and......POUNCE...they had dinner. Great teamwork, had never seen anything like it before.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One Thanksgiving morning we went pheasant hunting before the football game started (a tradition). We were walking an asparagus field when a cock flushed and flew perpendicular to all three of us as we walked the field, all three of us missed clean. The bird then flew right smack into a mobile home that was next to the field, killing the bird stone dead!

Dad then walked over and picked up the bird, he said there were two wide eyed kids looking out the window when he walked into the yard to retrieve the bird.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I watched a red tail hawk. Take a gray squirel of a limb. Then I watched a very large black bear cut my track. He sat there like a big dog. Sniffing my boot tracks in the snow. I whas only 25 yards away.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Outside of actual hunting stories, my most memorable experience happened while deer hunting on a powerline clearing. A couple does and fawns were coming from the east, while I watched an otter coming from the west. Neither realized the other was there until they were within 20 yards. When they saw each other, they both got the big-eyed look, turned tail, and ran back in the direction they came from.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    How big is that Antelope? with a bow? in NV? looks nice!
    72 pope and young and yes in NV! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!