Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    drhorsepower,

Any idea what kind of dollars Nevada's super raffle raises?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nevada dream tags are $5 and I believe raised $167k after expenses in their inagural season, That was for 5 tags and they also make you buy a $10 habitat stamp before you can buy raffle chances. I'll try and look up more when I get time, headed to elk camp tomorrow!
    Last edited by Doe Nob; 10-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    Have you ever paid for a non-resident tag anywhere? If not that explains a lot about this attitude.

Every one is a non-resident in every other state.
    Doe nob, actualy it explains alot about your attitude. Belive it or not, there are quite a few folks out there that only hunt their own states and don't spend thousands bankrolling non resident hunting licences. I have a tough time finding sympathy for folks with the disposable income to fund what amounts to pure recreation. Like I've said, life is full of choices, if you don't think the increased fees are worth the return, then don't spend the $$ on the product.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I believe it, we used to meat hunt to survive when I was a child. May have to again in the future. I don't now though. Eastman's is all about big game western trophy hunting and a lot of it done out of state, I thought that's what this community was into, do you even subscribe to the magazine?

I am pretty sure hunting is all pure recreation for all of us. If you do some accounting of what that elk burger costs to get to your freezer for the equivalent beef you could have bought in the store, you might come out ahead not hunting at all.

The bottom line is the more expensive it gets for anyone the harder it is to do it and it excludes people. I'm more worried about the father with three sons that can't afford to go antelope hunting now and so they never get introduced to the sport and get into other things. Raising costs decreases our political base. Its a national issue.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    Well I have waited to weigh in on this but here goes. First off I am a Colorado resident, born and raised in the west. I think the us (west) vs. everyone else is a bad attitude to have amongst hunters. I hunt Wyoming at least every other year and the G and F does a good job managing the wildlife as a whole and I have never met nicer field officers. I also hunt AZ, NE, and IA alternating years. I see both sides of the resident non resident coin. Believe me we see more than our share of non resident hunters here in Colorado. My problem with Wyoming's price hike is they are so steep so fast. I understand the "special" tags are just that and will cater to hard core or wealthy hunters. But over 500 for a deer tag and 700 for an elk tag is steep. Colorado charges less than that and the hunting opportunities are pretty good here as well. I will continue to hunt Wyoming but probably every 3 years instead of every year or two. Wyoming residents, the "if you don't like it quit coming here and stop crying" bit sounds arrogant and me first. Be careful what you wish for, all of us that live in states that see a lot of non resident hunters benefit from those guys by low tag prices for us and millions of dollars pumped into our states. I wouldn't gloat that these guys feel they are being jacked around with huge tag price increases. Wyoming is a different case than Colorado or Utah because there are not as many residents to bear the majority of the financial load of a G and F operation. Everyone remember if we don't have non resident hunters we all pay over 150.00 for big game tags as residents. Also be glad your state is only crowded during hunting season, if all of them "moved to Wyoming" it would be overcrowded like Colorado has become. At the end of the day we need all of the hunters to stand together or we will loose more and more hunting opportunities. Good luck hunting and God bless.
    Doe Nob has a point, if it gets too expensive you will see more kids sitting at home playing Xbox and not going afield. Then who will carry on the tradition as we grow older and quit going!
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 10-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    Well I have waited to weigh in on this but here goes. First off I am a Colorado resident, born and raised in the west. I think the us (west) vs. everyone else is a bad attitude to have amongst hunters. I hunt Wyoming at least every other year and the G and F does a good job managing the wildlife as a whole and I have never met nicer field officers. I also hunt AZ, NE, and IA alternating years. I see both sides of the resident non resident coin. Believe me we see more than our share of non resident hunters here in Colorado. My problem with Wyoming's price hike is they are so steep so fast. I understand the "special" tags are just that and will cater to hard core or wealthy hunters. But over 500 for a deer tag and 700 for an elk tag is steep. Colorado charges less than that and the hunting opportunities are pretty good here as well. I will continue to hunt Wyoming but probably every 3 years instead of every year or two. Wyoming residents, the "if you don't like it quit coming here and stop crying" bit sounds arrogant and me first. Be careful what you wish for, all of us that live in states that see a lot of non resident hunters benefit from those guys by low tag prices for us and millions of dollars pumped into our states. I wouldn't gloat that these guys feel they are being jacked around with huge tag price increases. Wyoming is a different case than Colorado or Utah because there are not as many residents to bear the majority of the financial load of a G and F operation. Everyone remember if we don't have non resident hunters we all pay over 150.00 for big game tags as residents. Also be glad your state is only crowded during hunting season, if all of them "moved to Wyoming" it would be overcrowded like Colorado has become. At the end of the day we need all of the hunters to stand together or we will loose more and more hunting opportunities. Good luck hunting and God bless.
    Doe Nob has a point, if it gets too expensive you will see more kids sitting at home playing Xbox and not going afield. Then who will carry on the tradition as we grow older and quit going!
    Well said my Friend!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes sir...well said.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No different in Texas. Residents pay a lot less. Hunting in Texas is either pay for a lease or pay for access to hunt. Not much public land in Texas. Hell, there are states back east where you have to buy a permit just to venture onto the National Forests (public lands). Everyone is getting the shaft out west, no matter what state you choose to hunt.Every other western state will raise their prices too. But in Wyoming's case, they just built a new billion dollar G&F headquarters and this is their way to help pay for it. Sportsman are their only source of funding soooo..............

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buildings are part of a budget the Game and Fish gets from the state government.

Tag sales didn't buy it.