Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a guide required to hunt big game in Canada? I'm pretty sure that's the case.. That rules out Canada for me with the exception of a couple "bucket list" hunts I want to do in my lifetime. Guided hunts in Canada certainly aren't any cheaper than free lance hunting in Wyoming or Montana.
    I think I've heard that is the case in Canada, now that you mention it. Not sure if it is every province though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I spent close to 10K on a guided wilderness hunt in Wy last year. I can afford to do one of these every couple of years even tho I'm retired. If I am going to spend the bucks, then all options are on the table. I really don't have to spend my $$$ in Wyoming, even tho I've hunted there for 30+ years and love the place!!! It's a matter of principle and will be telling the Wyoming folks I write to that very same thing.

Pretty sad situation.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Told everyone two months ago this was happening, to bad no one thinks like me. They are over payed for what this organization does, they have bachelors degrees not master or doctorate. I could go out and teach a high schooler what they do and they would do it for half the pay. Re-donkulous, when i left the wildlife division supervisor were making 120k a year plus state benefits (which are crazy). ITs a shame they cant get there Chit together and really manage the wildlife. Seperate the seasons. do a bow, muzzle loader, and rifle season. Sell more tags its a simple process, bow hunter arent as succesfull, muzzleloaders are close to rifle, and then let people throw lead. Stand up for yourselves or pretty soon it going to be 2 grand for a elk tag here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep I remember your post, but pretty hard for NR's to see the details of the budget, let alone be aware of changes like these. Usually I look atthe website for hunting info. We need to really watch what is happening because of the effect it has on our hunting!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justinthedoc View Post
    Seperate the seasons. do a bow, muzzle loader, and rifle season. Sell more tags its a simple process, bow hunter arent as succesfull, muzzleloaders are close to rifle, and then let people throw lead. Stand up for yourselves or pretty soon it going to be 2 grand for a elk tag here.
    I completely agree with splitting the seasons.. I'm looking at a type 9 tag in WY, because I really only want to hunt the rut with archery equipment. Even if I drew a regular tag, I'd probably only come during September. Logistically, it's nearly impossible for me to come back out for the gun season. WY could easily sell my tag again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i have much of the same sentiments that you guys do. Whay dont they have seperate seasons / tags for archery / muzzle / gun? Has anyone in the WGFD even answer that question?

Its nice to say we need to stand up to this, but how exactly do you do that? How do I living in Wisconsin, living a pretty middle class life with a wife for a teacher (not exactly a big dollar career) fight regulations in Wyoming? besides simply not hunting there, which is uncool b/c life is way too short to miss a season. Unless the Outfitters and Ranchers somehow get together on this and speak out against it............how will any change occur? And why would Ranchers and Outfitter care what non-residents pay?

The only bright side is that the more marginal units will become better due to less pressure. The good units will get far worse........everyone will apply for the good units b/c if your paying 750 bucks plus PP dollars for an elk tag, your not going to waste a 1000 bucks on a crappy unit. I will have 3 PP's this year. if a tag is going to cost me 750 in 2014...........I wont be wasting my PP's on a marginal unit. So I do think you may create an enviorment in which there is better hunting as a whole in Wyoming. Marginal areas will become better as will "bad" areas, and the good spots will be darn near impossible to draw. and you will also see less hunters as a whole.........not a bad thing I guess.

But I dont think I will be spending 375 for a goat.......no matter where I am hunting! I will simply hunt a cheaper state or simply enjoy seeing them and shoot them with the Camera. Aint spending 400 bucks on a goat. ever.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agree with you totally about the goat thing. Thats way to dang much for a antelope, if they were better quality sure, but the average goat anymore is 65in. No way is it worth it. But people are going to pay it. All this is going to do is line there pockets, and take away from those people that cant afford it. Simple to say the rich getting richer type of crap. All its going to do is keep going up, mark my words in two-four years this is going to happen again. I used to pay like 24 bucks when I started hunting elk, next year its going to be 75.00. I know its nothing like the NR price, but the differance is still there. They can cut programs that arent needed, they can find the cuts they need, they just dont want to because they know we will pay it. I hated most of the political crap when I worked there, after this, I really dis-like them and I will jack with every RED shirt I see from now on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My brothers and I. Just started building points in Wyoming. Two elk and 2 deer. We have never hunted Wyoming. But we have talked about dumping our points. We have hunted Colorado sinces 2009. What I dont under stand is? Why is it so expensive to hunt in the west. ANY WERE. Is it that the fish and game is over paid? Need new 4wd every other year? Cant budget there money? I live in NW Pa. A non resident can bye a general lisence for around $100.00. This would give U one whitetail buck. One spring turkey,one fall. And small game. Archery stamp non res around 30.00. A doe tag for around 30.00. And just about any other state in the east. Why such a price difference. As long as I am willing to pay. And every other non resident is. Than it wont end.... sorry for the long rant...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hate to say it but the fact is when it comes to the price of tags, as long as every tag is sold, I don't think state's really care what they are charging non-residents. According to the Wyoming game and fish website, they've got about 40,000 non-residents with elk points and roughly 30,000 people each with antelope and deer points. People are lining up a long ways from the door to have the chance to hunt in Wyoming. And while the guys that have to save all year to do one hunt out in WY or any other state might get priced out of a hunt, there is easily someone else who will pay the higher tag fee. I'm not saying it is right, I'm just saying.

I think these high tag fees could definitely backfire though. Using the numbers that I stated above, the state gets about $4 million just from those preference points. And that doesn't even include sheep and moose. Anyways, with the increased tag fees, maybe the state will generate an extra million in tag fees. But then maybe a TON of people quit buying points and they lose $2 million in preference point fees. I'm sure these numbers are way off and I'm just making them up but I definitely think that they might lose more revenue from the loss of people buying points versus extra revenue from the higher tag fees.

Someone from Wyoming should give their thoughts. If they dare!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just some perspective.............its not just a "western" thing. I live in Wisconsin..........a gun tag is 25.00. A bow tag is 25.00. And you get some free doe tags too (which I dont use b/c we shoot way way too many deer in this state....i HATE the free doe tag BS).......but NR's pay like 150.....175 for a gun tag. Same price for Bow I think. But Iowa..................its like 400 or 450 for a deer tag. Illinois is between 300-400. Its insane.

I wont get political.............but it does seem like the rich get richer and poor get poorer............no matter who is in office from either party. I will keep going out west hunting until I am wheel chair bound or in my coffin.........and if I can mdo it, I will still go in a wheel chair! I will save and work extra and do anything needed outside of robbing a bank to pay for my 100% DIY hunts. But it is sad that a avg joe middle class guy like me constantly has more road blocks thrown in front of him. Everything gets harder and harder. All I want to do is to pass on the traditions my grandfather passed to me...........mainly hunting and fishing. And every year its harder to do so. Thats the tragedy.............will my son or grandson someday experience anything like i do? And I dont experinece anything close to what my dad did and nothing like what my grandfather did. That does NOT bode well for the future of hunting. Its a sad and scary road we travel.

I just keep hoping to find the silver lining in this, and thats the marginal units getting better. Thats my hope at least...........