Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There sure are a lot of strong opinions about this issue. I can't afford the price of a tag in WY so I just won't go. I would be more worried about how they're going to spend/waste the extra money. I've seen plenty of PLOTS land in ND (private land leased to the ND game and fish department for public hunting) that are just plowed fields. You tell me why I should be paying more to my government so they could spend the money on a piece of land that is a flat section of plowed dirt. There are plenty of good plots areas too, but even one plowed field is wasted money and gets me angry that I paid for a percentage of that (even if it is a small percentage). I do like my game and fish dept to be well funded, I just want to make sure the money is used in a resourceful manner that benefits the "working man" hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am beginning to think that the out of staters that are complaining are just mad because wyoming is one of the more affordable states to hunt right now. Most if the other states are in the same ballpark of what Wyoming is proposing for license increases. As far as I know the other states have no problems selling tags to nr hunters. Just because the Bills, Bobs, and Joes can't afford it anymore doesnt mean the Franks can't. Fact is licenses will still be sold and there are a handful of the nr hunters that are sitting back and smiling because they know that the drawing odds are going to increase significantly so instead of waiting five years to draw a good tag it will only be two years. Sorry to those of you that can't afford it. Some of the resident tags are going to be going up 150 percent while the same nr tag is only going to be going up 20-30 percent do some of the nr will be happy that the gap will close a little bit.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am at least 2 years away from being a Wyoming resident if we end up moving back. Another year in the military overseas and then another year waiting on my residency to kick in after I retire and move back.

I'll continue to buy points and not apply until my residency kicks in. I will apply for a NR bull bison tag for the refuge for 2013, as it's a fair deal even at $1500 for the amount of meat we would get out of him. Since they made it once in a lifetime on bison, I can't see any merit in applying for a cow.

I am in points only tag programs in Utah, Nevada, Arizona and at least one other state. I wish more states had the same programs. I hope not all of them raise their points programs cost, as I am still a working class guy with a family to feed. But if they do it's their own perogative.

I agree that Wyoming's price increases will price out a few folks, but the increased availability by pricing those non-residents out will mean an increase in drawing chances. The state won't lose anything with the price increase, regardless of what you nay-sayers are talking about.

If we end up in Montana or Idaho or anywhere else I'll still apply in Wyoming, as I have family there and it's still a very workable state for a non-resident to hunt. Especially if you have horses and can get a resident sponsor for the wilderness areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    No matter how any state manages their wildlife, someone will be unhappy. However, it looks to me that Wyoming has done a pretty good job overall. Given the hand Wyoming has been dealt with the wolf reintroduction and the accompanying lawsuits, the cost has certainly gone up. Properly managing wildlife is expensive. As a non-resident of every state except Alaska, I would prefer to hunt those states that have sound management. If I have to pay more for that, so be it. Will it hurt my wallet? Sure, I might not be able to hunt Wyoming as soon or as often, but when I do get too, hopefully the hunt will be of good quality. I do know that every state or federal agency can and do waste money, that's an issue we should take up with the legislature of the states. Privatization is not the answer and is unconstitutional. I'll pay the extra money, not gladly, but willingly if Wyoming continues to manage their resources well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    I'll pay the extra money, not gladly, but willingly if Wyoming continues to manage their resources well.
    Well said. It eases the pain of higher prices if the money goes to a good cause and betters your hunting chances and experiences.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I concur, to me Wyoming's mix of large tracks of public land, and lots of tags makes it the top pick among any western states for a usability.

You might shoot a bigger bull in an area that takes a lifetime to draw in Utah, Arizona or Nevada, but you won't shoot as many bulls in the top trophy units as you will in a lifetime of hunting elk in old Wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Doe Nob,
    This is an interesting thread. Non-residents bitching about tag prices in a state they do not live in? The answer is simple... if you don't like it, don't visit. I doubt we will miss you.
    Have you ever paid for a non-resident tag anywhere? If not that explains a lot about this attitude.

Every one is a non-resident in every other state.
    Last edited by Doe Nob; 10-17-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    And on the topic, I think a supertag raffle system would be more egalitarian and help the budget as much if not more without reducing our base as hunters.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Texas and Washington both have super raffles, what kind of dollars do they raise?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Nevada does as well.