Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tent Choice

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was afraid you would say that about having a spotting scope. I am gonna try to 'work one into the inventory' if possible. I like the Leupold Gold Ring spotters and have heard real good things about them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya I would agree spotter would be great investment. I would look toward Vortex if you are worried about breakin the bank

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Get a spotter. A Minox MD50 is cheap, small, and I would bet it would get a lot of work on this trip. I just went on a hunt with a Cabelas Alaskan Dome and a "Mr. Buddy" heater, and the combo worked great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Cabelas Alaskan and buddy heater is a pretty good combo. I use it 4 season here in wyoming

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Now you are on the right track. Sell what you must, you won't regret it, I guarantee it. I have a Gold Ring spotter, I like the compact size. I prefer it for the compactness and that it has a straight eye piece that can be used easily with a window mount. I will easily pick out twice as many animals with a spotter than my partners with their 10x binocs.

Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    I was afraid you would say that about having a spotting scope. I am gonna try to 'work one into the inventory' if possible. I like the Leupold Gold Ring spotters and have heard real good things about them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy Hacky View Post
    ...I will easily pick out twice as many animals with a spotter than my partners with their 10x binocs.
    I'll second that. Just make sure to take the time to set up your spotter and use it. My partners get a little anxious waiting for me to finish glassing with my spotting scope, but it does pay off in the end. I find way more animals than anyone else while sitting behind the spotter. I prefer the angle piece though. I was hesitant on the angle design when I got it since I had only used straight, but now that I've used the angle I won't ever go back to a straight eyepiece. Look at the moon with your spotter if you do end up getting one. Its a pretty incredible sight if you get a high quality high power spotter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That tent is a solid choice. I have one and really like it. I use a small Mr. Buddy heater to take the edge off in the mornings while getting dressed and whatnot. We've never been in snow with it, but everything else, and it's been great. How many of you are going? More times than not there are 2 people with cots and all gear in the tent, with plenty of room to spare. 3 people with cots and gear would work OK too, assuming you don't have the XL cots. It's nice to get off the ground with cots, and also you can store a lot of stuff underneath them. I love the tent for basecamp purposes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy Hacky View Post
    Now you are on the right track. Sell what you must, you won't regret it, I guarantee it. I have a Gold Ring spotter, I like the compact size. I prefer it for the compactness and that it has a straight eye piece that can be used easily with a window mount. I will easily pick out twice as many animals with a spotter than my partners with their 10x binocs.
    Chippy is giving you some good advice about selling off less frequently used items to buy a quality spotter. When you are watching the hunting TV shows, it is easy to get caught up in what they think you need (i.e. what they are selling), but if you do not have sponsors and this is a PIY (pay it yourself) hunt, you can get along with a lot less equipment and still have a quality hunt. Just MHO.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep, This is definately a DIY / PIY adventure. Gonna have to find a way to have a spotter on this trip.

Whisky, probably 2 people in Cabelas tent. Possibly 4 total in group (2 tents). As long as the tent keeps us dry and the Buddy heater will warm it up, I guess we will be o.k.

Our plan is to deer hunt Wyoming R. Looking at west side of Big Horns. I have read it is rough country. The MRS section in magazine rates it o.k. for a general deer hunt. Other than that, info on this area is tough to come by.