Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to elk hunting!!

Hello everyone, I am new to elk hunting and I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of some good starter books on elk hunting. I am going to go next fall prob to Colorado or new Mexico. I am taking this season to get my ducks in a row. Any advice for an elk newbie would be great. I have been archery/rifle/black powder hunting for 25 years just never out of the state of Oklahoma. I am not worried if I don't every put a tag on an elk I just want to give it a try at hunting something new. Any titles that you all think I should read please let me know. Sorry its kinda long winded. Thank you all for your time and help!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are looking for a good read check out Mike Eastmans book Elk Hunting the West. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks on here with alot of knowledge. Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I would start with Mikes book. There is a DVD that goes with it. Very helpfull. If you going to hunt a area you never been to before call the biologist for that area and ask questions. Being a newbie here on the forum let me welcome you to the forum. Also do some searches here. There has been tons conversation that will help you a bunch. Good luck and don't be afraid to chime in with your own experiences on conversations here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome!! I'll put in another plug for Mike's book "Elk Hunting the West" as an excellent source. It even has a whole section on rack bracketing to help in field judging elk. Another helpful book is Eastmans' "Trophy Elk Hunters" as it is full of hunting stories that include tips on planning and techniques. Not intending my reply to be a shameless pug for Eastmans' -- these just happen to be 2 great options that I really like. I was fortunate enough to get a 393 bull in Montana a few years ago, and it was even more enjoyable to re-read these books after that hunt to compare my experiences.

Good luck to you on your hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you all for welcoming me to the board and thank you for the book recommendation. I will get it order ASAP. I have hunted whitetail deer and sheds as long as I can remember and my wife and i vacation in the mountains almost every year so it's time to try something different. Thank you again and Heartelk1 congrats on an amazing bull!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    welcome pard, i think ur on the rite track im fairly new my self and know ya gotta start some were

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 on the Mike Eastman book.
    Also check out elknut outdoor productions. He makes some cheesy videos but they have great information.