Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unhappy MRI monday morning

Had an accident at work Thursday morning and possibly tore my PCL or my ACL. Dr is leaning towards PCL but due to previous injuries I only had 25% of my ACL left. I have an MRI monday, should get the results Thursday. I'm still planning on some archery Elk tomorrow. Has anyone else dealt with this injury?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    While I'm not a doc yet, I shadowed an ortho doc all summer... A simple way to tell which ligament is torn is to see which way your knee is unstable. If your tibia slides forward compared to your femur, your ACL is torn. If your tibia slides backwards, your PCL is torn. The reconstructive surgery is a big one. Like 4-6 months until the new ligament heals into the holes they drill into your bones. Anyways, if the instability and pain aren't that bothersome, you'll actually probably be able to avoid surgery until after your hunt and simply get by with some sort of brace that will restrict some knee movement. FYI: There are people that go about their daily lives with completely torn ACL's (and I think PCL's even more so), but it doesn't bother them unless they perform twisting or cutting motions (which a surprising number of people don't do on a regular basis). For instance, you can get by running a 5K with a torn ACL because it's just straight ahead motion, but you wouldn't be able to play basketball or soccer or maybe even swing a golf club because of the twisting and cutting. Just be careful so you don't end up stranded on a mountain somewhere.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have had my ACL replaced. I went for awhile with it ripped off the bone from a quad racing accident before I had it replaced. I went with the Patela tenden repair. They use the tenden that hold your knee cap on. They use the center of the tenden to make the repair. The down time for me was very minimal. I was back to work (lite duty) in a week and full duty in 3 and I felt a 100% in about 2 months with PT. if you get the Hamstring tenden you can double the times. If the cadaver I think it's about the same at the Patela but you will have to get it done again in about 10 years. If I were you I would wait till hunting season is over then get it done. Get a brace to wear while you hiking and while your packing heavy loads. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Knee injures are never fun,I was out for 3-4 months about 6 years ago because of a motocross crash, I hope everything turns out ok for you.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club