Thread: Planning stages

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning stages

I am new to the forum. Seems like some great info. I have never been on an elk hunt but planning on one to CO next year. I want to do a diy hunt. I have no points so an over the counter hunt is my option (I think). I have a ton of questions that have probably been answered 100 time. Seems like alot of guys do things abit diffeeent from the next though.
    I think an extreme high altitude hunt will be out of my league for my first(also a good chance my wife will be along).
    Ar there options that fit that bill. Seems like I may haabe to hunt later because elk come to lowere elevations later in year,is that right. I think I may ne able to get an opportunity but have tons of learning to do if this will become reality.

I am plannig a diy because i dont have 10,000 ro blow on a guided hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you pack your camp and hunt around there. To where you can come nack in the evenings. Or do people camp and then have satellite camps while they are hunting.
    I ask because I am not sure the distances people go from access points to get away from crowd.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    From what you say. You mite want to look at the 3rd season or the 4th season. Is Ur wife hunting to? The weather can be very cold. So U will have to plan for that. Take a look at Colorado web site. I have only hunted gmu 54 in Colorado. And never that late. You mite eaven get a left over cow tag for a draw unit? You could sit up a base camp and hunt from there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by chad fenton View Post
    I am new to the forum. Seems like some great info. I have never been on an elk hunt but planning on one to CO next year. I want to do a diy hunt. I have no points so an over the counter hunt is my option (I think). I have a ton of questions that have probably been answered 100 time. Seems like alot of guys do things abit diffeeent from the next though.
    I think an extreme high altitude hunt will be out of my league for my first(also a good chance my wife will be along).
    Ar there options that fit that bill. Seems like I may haabe to hunt later because elk come to lowere elevations later in year,is that right. I think I may ne able to get an opportunity but have tons of learning to do if this will become reality.

I am plannig a diy because i dont have 10,000 ro blow on a guided hunt
    mite consider a drop camp hunt im pretty new also and have tried a diy and a drop camp the drop camp really taught me alot and most run around $1500 its a good starting point

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't kill yourself worrying about it, load up the truck and go! Don’t plan on filling your tag or seeing a bunch of game on your first time especially if you haven’t hunted the west.

Don’t let your inexperience keep you from going. If it is your first time spiking or backpacking, just hunt from the truck. Get a feel for things and then give it heck the next year.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy Hacky View Post
    Don't kill yourself worrying about it, load up the truck and go! Don’t plan on filling your tag or seeing a bunch of game on your first time especially if you haven’t hunted the west.

Don’t let your inexperience keep you from going. If it is your first time spiking or backpacking, just hunt from the truck. Get a feel for things and then give it heck the next year.
    Very well said CH

I haven't hunted CO but have hunted plenty of Elk. Is CO your only choice. How about ID?