Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sitka or kuiu?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Dr.
    I'm with you on the Sitka. I was at sportsmans warehouse today trying on a lot of their items and love their athletic fit and how they stretch. Very high quality gear. I will be all Sitka'd out for next season with first lite underneath

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BB,

You say that, but spend some time in South East or on the Penninsula/Aleutians.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    BB,

You say that, but spend some time in South East or on the Penninsula/Aleutians.
    I do not believe the rain is magic in AK. The Aleutians get about 80 inches a year while Tillamook, OR gets 90.

Still, in either of those areas special rainwear may be a good thing to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gperkins21 View Post
    Looking to by some new clothing! willing to spend the money! Im looking at sitka and kuiu. any insight?
    However, this the OP. He lives in Boise, ID. I think wearing HH marine gear around there would be abismal, and is poor advice.

I think Kuiu or Sitka would be a great choice for him. I like Kuiu better as a product, but know also that DrH's experiences with supply are not isolated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kuiu is a superior product to Sitka, and it cost less as well. The main drawback is not having it available in every retail outlet and periodic back order delays. This is a direct result of the lower price. If you want it all available on the shelf everywhere you go, you have to pay the higher retail prices.
    I am happy with planning ahead and saving about 30-40% over Sitka, and getting a better product. I leave my Sitka home now and wear Kuiu. The Kuiu Guide jacket is lighter in weight than the Sitka jacket, and just as warm.

In the constant rain of SE Alasak, the Healy Hansen Impertec is a great lightweight rain gear. The Kuiu rain gear is great, but anything that breathes will never be as waterproof as a solid "rubberized" fabric. Ditto for Sitka rain gear. You can either be damp inside from the "plastic" rain gear, or eventually a bit damp from wearing a breathable fabric. Either way, after multiple days in constant rain you will at least be a bit damp on the inside... Change clothes often, and dry clothes out by a fire (in a cabin, preferably) and you will be fine, but it is very hard to stay dry indefinitely in constant rain anywhere.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    I have to agree with Eidlewiess on the fit of both lines of gear. It is made for an athletic fit and I am built more along the lines of, well let us call it short and stocky. I'm 5'11 and currently weigh 235. I wear 34" jeans and a 48 suit coat.... If I want to layer a KUIU or Sitka garment over my First Lite or KUIU Merino core shirt I have to buy the XXL and then things get tunic looking in a hurry. As for the pants? It is a good thing they stretch because the legs are made for dudes who run marathons not deadlift pickups. Oh well, I do like the gear and will continue to buy each brand. However, upon using both companies rain gear... I have sold it all and purchased the much cheaper and quieter Russel L5 Cyclone series.

Hunt Hard AND smart brothers and sisters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am going to go with Kuiu as well having owned both. I will say this and you have to find your own value. You can pretty much count on not ever being able to buy Kuiu gear when you need it. It took me 6/7 months to get all the gear I needed, which really bothered me, as you can tell. So for that I have not decided to make Kuiu my main gear line. Sitka is awesome and you can find it very reasonable if you carry the same patience as Kuiu.

I only use either for archery season as when rifle rolls around i mainly use climbing gear for the superior performance products (not needing the camo pattern). Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, Rab etc... High quality, light weight cold weather stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Minus33 has 100% merino wool in 3-4 5 and 6 x and it every bet as good as anything in the market