Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Oregon sure must have changed. About 30 years ago when my wife and I were researching places to retire (lived in southern California then) and Oregon and Washington were first on our list. Didn't take long to scratch them both. I remember a big billboard that said something like this: Californians, welcome to Oregon, visit us, spend your money, then go home. (can't remember the exact wording, but you get the gist of it) This sign was on the interstate when you entered the state at Grants Pass. Hope things are different now!

I was also recruited by OSU for a football scholorship, stayed home and went to USC.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I'm an Oregon boy...lots to do here.

Chinook fishing is nearly as much fun as hunting! We love fishing them in the fall in the bays on the coast. Hiring a reputable guide for a day or two can accelerate your learning curve.

Razor clams at low tide on the beaches south of the Columbia river. There are also lots of good bay clam opportunities.

Bowhunting elk is probably your best elk hunting option in Oregon.

Blacktails are best hunted during the rut (mid to late November) on the late archery tags (over the counter), or the late muzzleloader tags (draw).

Crabbing for dungeness crabs. There is nothing better than having an ice chest full of boiled crabs and eating crab every day for a week.

Albacore tuna fishing at the coast (typically around August).

Halibut fishing at the coast.

Walleye fishing on the Columbia River.

Smallmouth bass fishing on the John Day and Umpqua Rivers.

Your best hunting opportunities are on draw hunts, make sure you at least buy points every year for elk, deer and antelope. You can apply for bighorn sheep, mountain goat, antelope, buck deer, spring bear, elk, and doe deer.

Winter and summer stealhead fishing.

Picking blackberries in the fall. They are weeds here and grow everywhere.

Picking morel mushrooms in the spring and chanterelle mushrooms in the fall.

Rockcod fishing at the coast.

Catfishing and crappie fishing at Brownlee Reservoir.

Largemouth bass fishing in numerous lakes.

Trout fishing at Diamond Lake. Easy and it produces football shaped fish.

Skiing or snow boarding at numerous locations.

Sturgeon fishing in the Columbia River.

Shad fishing on the Umpqua river in May.
    Maineboy, If you do all the things that Umpqua suggested, don't bother looking for a job, you won't have time ! Good luck on your move.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, we've landed. All is well and we've learned that our three year old is an amazing traveller. The drive was safe. Getting unpacked. Took a cruise with my Dad before he flew home and saw my first nice buck in the coastal mountains. I'm eager to get my boots on the ground. I likely won't have internet for a few more days, but if anyone is interested in a beer and/or some steel head fishing it'd be nice to meet a few fellow outdoorsmen. It was hard keeping my eyes on the road driving through the country.

Umpqua Hunter: I appreciate your list. Your outline of the state summed up bliss to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Welcome to Oregon. As far as hunting goes Umpqua is correct, I don't fish so I can't say much about fishing other than I hear its good. If you like bow hunting and fishing you will have a good time in Oregon. If you try the late Blacktail bow season you my want to head south for the big bucks, they seem to grow bigger down there and its not as thick in some areas. Oregon coast range is world class Roosevelt elk country, your odds for a big bull are good near where you now reside. There are elk in every county in the state, so there's alot of elk country. Sheep and Mountain goat hunting is fantastic, if you can draw a tag. Oregon doesn't give preferance points for sheep or goats so you will have just as good a chance to draw a tag as Oregon natives that have been applying for 40+ years once you become a resident. I can't say much about Antelope hunting other than I hear its good, I have not drawn a tag yet, 15 years of applying and still counting. If you want big Mule deer, sorry your in the wrong state. Again welcome to Oregon
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 12-17-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info. I was at the dmv on day three of getting here, priorities right? I may have to miss out on the spring bear hunting because of the 6 month rule but eager to get at it in Oregon. 90% of my big game hunting is with the bow, so it's nice to hear the better deer and elk seasons tend to be archery. I plan to try my luck at calling cats in the off season.
    I have been getting a little scouting in or as best I can with a 3 year old on my shoulders. Daddy daycare till I have a work plan. He's eager to be in the woods with me.
    A couple of people told me they won't go in the woods without a sidearm because of the cats, is that the general consensus? I feel safer with the wild animals than I do with (wild) humans.
    Carl

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    A couple of people told me they won't go in the woods without a sidearm because of the cats, is that the general consensus? I feel safer with the wild animals than I do with (wild) humans.
    I do not usually carry a side arm, I have only seen 1 cougar while in the woods. It was in 1992 and it was July, I wish I would have had one that day, but I didn't. It charged toward me at full speed then just dissapeared at 30 yrds. It scared the hell out of me, I swore I would never go in the woods again without a gun after that, but I still do. I haven't seen one since, but I have seen tracks several times. Carrying is not a bad idea, you never know when you may need it, just like when you go to the shopping mall. I am going to start carrying more in the woods and in town.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My hunting the last few years has been slim due to school but I always go out for the weekends to help my family out. I almost always carry, especially when I'm with the bow. As Stalker stated I'm gonna be carrying more often everywhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    welcome to oregon maineboy! i graduated from OSU a year and a half ago and while there did a lot of hunting and scouting before and after classes. theres a lot of good potential if you put your time into scounting. i saw your question about cats, i have only saw 1, it was spring bear hunting and was in the road i was going down long enough for it to run across it and for me to realize what it was.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the warm welcomes and the helpful advice. The folks I have met have been pleasantly friendly. I have quickly learned that I must run in the rain or not run at all, but it is a bit easier to motivate when you can see the mountains that motivate the running in the first plays. Merry Christmas
    Carl