Went out to the range yesterday with my Ruger (mid '80, tang safety vintage) to try some new ammo - 165 gr. Fed Prem Trophy Bonded Tip. I remembered this gun seemed to like 165 gr. and wanted to see if it would like these. Below is picture of 2 of my groups with a blow by blow of what happened. Any recommendations are appreciated.
165gr. FP TBT.jpg
The one variable that concerns me is that I separated the action from the stock several weeks back for a thorough cleaning.
1) Group 1 both shots were pretty good - 2 1/2" high at 100. I'm thinking it'll stick another one in there and call this a 3/4 to 1" load.
2) Barrel cools while checking target.
3) First shot of the second group was crap - 1 1/2" above the first two shots.
4) The other 2 shots of group are just as bad, even tho the sight pictures were fine when the gun went off.
5) I go into full blown WTF mode!!!
6) Shot another 3 shot group with 150 gr. Rem Core-Loks I had, first 2 were fine 1/2" apart, 3rd shot flew an 1/2" hi and 1 1/2" to the left.
7) Scratch head a bit - can't be a hot barrel I think.
8) Shot one shot of the 165s again - 2 1/2" hi 1/2" to the right (that was most likely me).
No ego involved here, first thing I considered was the loose screw behind the trigger, but he seemed tight. I'm puzzled??? Anyone experience this before (especially on one of the older Rugers)?
Sorry so long winded!