Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    The gun I carry outdoors when not packing a rifle is a S&W Model 60 Pro Series 5 shot 357 revolver. It rides great on the hip and is out of the way. When I carry it where I pack my Leatherman when working I don't even notice it's there. May not be what you want, but 38's are pretty reasonable for plinking and the 357 has some great heavy loads for carry in the backcountry. It fits my use and points and shoots real well for me. I catfish in some remote areas where I've seen mountain lion, and where the druggies put meth labs and marijuana fields so I like to have it along. Only thing I've used it on other than small game was a sick raccoon, not sure if he had distemper or rabies so I shot him and burned him to be safe.
    X2. I had mine Magnaported and added a Pachmayer grip. Makes it a pleasure to shoot, even with the .357 loadings.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I was doing my field work, I carried the Taurus Judge loaded with the .45 LC. It was a bit bulky but at the time it was the only pistol I had. Right know I own a Springfield 1911 A-1, Springfield XDM 9mm and the Judge. Thinkning about getting a Compact Kimber probably in a .40 so I can get my CC.

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a huge Glock fan, and love the .40 S&W cartridge. Can't go wrong. That is, if you just have to have a semi-auto. I prefer revolvers.
    The Springfield XD is a great gun, also, but no conversions available that I know of. Probably will be one day soon.
    Really, I think you'll enjoy it as is, and won't need the conversion, unless you plan on doing lots of target shooting and want to same money on ammo. I use mine for small game and javelina, etc. with good success and lots of fun.
    The one I carry most, though, is a 3" barrel .357 mag Ruger GP100. Love revolvers.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    If you're going to carry a handgun in back country, you might want to first define its potential usage. If you're gong to carry for self-defense for bad guys, I'd go with a good semi-auto of at least .40 caliber. If you're thinking of bear defense, a heavy .357 Mag would be minimum. The reason for a heavy gun is because even .38 Special +P in a model 60 can be hard to retain sight picture due to recoil.

I have a hunting buddy who saw a huge black bear while deer hunting in Utah. He came back to camp saying that he was going to buy a .44 Mag. He hunts with a 7MM Rem Mag. I suggested that if his five rounds of 7MM Rem Mag wouldn't stop a charging bear, I'd reload before I reached for a handgun. He thought about it for a few minutes and said that if 5 7MM Rem Mag rounds wouldn't stop a charging black bear, it's doubtful that a handgun would be much help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I used to carry a handgun when I was big game hunting, but pretty much don't anymore. Seems just too damn heavy to carry around now. The only exception is when I'm hunting in grizzly country. I do have a new S & W .50 I carry. Heavy but great stopping power.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a glock in 10mm and absolutely love it. I bought a kimber as my first pistol and swore I'd never even consider a glock....till I shot one. The 10mm actually kicks less than any .40 s&w glock I've shot but packs more heat than any .357 mag you'll find...especially if you hand load up to the round's capability. If you don't hand load you can look into the double tap ammo that you can find readily online. It's great for defense against bears, wolves, and even pcp enraged crackheads. Plus the cool thing with this pistol, with a barrel swap you can shoot 9mm, .40 s&w, and .357 sig. Not sure if they make one for .22 but it might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by tkeslar; 11-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tkeslar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    If you're going to carry a handgun in back country, you might want to first define its potential usage. If you're gong to carry for self-defense for bad guys, I'd go with a good semi-auto of at least .40 caliber. If you're thinking of bear defense, a heavy .357 Mag would be minimum. The reason for a heavy gun is because even .38 Special +P in a model 60 can be hard to retain sight picture due to recoil.

I have a hunting buddy who saw a huge black bear while deer hunting in Utah. He came back to camp saying that he was going to buy a .44 Mag. He hunts with a 7MM Rem Mag. I suggested that if his five rounds of 7MM Rem Mag wouldn't stop a charging bear, I'd reload before I reached for a handgun. He thought about it for a few minutes and said that if 5 7MM Rem Mag rounds wouldn't stop a charging black bear, it's doubtful that a handgun would be much help.
    Good point. Except for being available if I had to abandon my rifle to climb something, or otherwise being at hand when the rifle isn't the handgun has no advantage. I don't carry mine when carrying a rifle unless it's just a 22LR or 204. It is a handful with light loads when left stock like mine, it is hard to retain sight picture but so is anything more powerful than a 9mm or 40 in a smaller gun. No free lunch, it's all a trade-off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sell firearms for a living and have to say, there are a lot of good reliable guns out there to choose from. Glock, Ruger, Springfield, Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson, Walther, Steyr, FNH, etc. The Glocks are good guns but they aren't perfect. I don't like how when you grip them they tend to point up and the coating used on the slide must have teflon in it, it is so slippery. That being said if I wanted a 10mm it would probably be the Glock 20. Only ones I would personally stay away from are Hi-Point, Taurus, and the Sig Sauer 250 and Sig Sauer 2022, though their higher end models are very nice. Also I have heard one customer complain about his Kimber rusting in a safe full of other guns, none of which rusted. Prior to hearing it from a customer I had read of some other people's newer Kimbers doing this despite them being well care for and none of their other firearms having rust problems.
    Last edited by Bigsky; 11-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I have really been looking at the Remington 1911 lately. That said I prefer to carry a revolver simply because they are very safe and reliable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tkeslar View Post
    I have a glock in 10mm and absolutely love it. I bought a kimber as my first pistol and swore I'd never even consider a glock....till I shot one. The 10mm actually kicks less than any .40 s&w glock I've shot but packs more heat than any .357 mag you'll find...especially if you hand load up to the round's capability. If you don't hand load you can look into the double tap ammo that you can find readily online. It's great for defense against bears, wolves, and even pcp enraged crackheads. Plus the cool thing with this pistol, with a barrel swap you can shoot 9mm, .40 s&w, and .357 sig. Not sure if they make one for .22 but it might be worth looking into.
    Yeah Tkeslar, the Glock Gen.4 model 20 in 10mm with a 6" barrel. A .41 magnum equivalent in a lighter package.