Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Internal vs. External Frame Pack?

I'm curious in your opinion how a internal frame pack feels vs. an external?

I have an external but considering buying an internal as a 2nd pack, either way I need a 2nd pack for elk this fall...

would a 3900cu in internal be basically the same as an external except the frame is internal?

what is the advantage/disadvantage in your view of an internal/external?

do external handle big/heavy loads, ie an elk quarter better than an internal?

thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Husky,
    I have always used my external frame for packing out meat mainly because it's all I've ever had to use.
    My internal framed packs are too small to even carry a quartered deer out but boned out is ok. But where do I put my gear if I only need one trip ? Some times I bungie/tie my badlands 2200 pack to my pack frame with good heavy duty game bags and then I can pack the meat out in the bags tied the the pack frame then bungie my pack onto to it. Last year I got lazy with a doe antelope and gut it, cut it in half, cut legs off at the knees and put each half in a bag and bungied to the pack frame and hauled it out about a mile or so. I didn't have my pack , just my rifle and binos, knife and saw. Bungied all to frame. I knew I was going to shoot one when I saw them and put on a loooong stalk so didn't take my pack. I would of if I didn't see what I was going after first. Just my experiences.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a med size internal that I wear while hunting. It has everything I need for the day, plus all the stuff to skin and quarter the elk. I hang it all up, and take the backstraps back to the Jeep. Then I grab a big external from the Jeep, and go back for the rest of the meat.

I've always done it that way, and i'm too old to change.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i prefer the internal frame pack to the external. I have packed: dall sheep, rocky mtn sheep, stone sheep, moose, caribou, mtn goat, elk, deer and bear with internal frame packs. Drop the meat into the pack and start walking. you don't have to worry about how good the stuff is tied on. It has worked for me. Granted i need to wash my pack at end of the season. but i am ok with that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What kind of internal pack do you have Tim? I bought a Eberlestock J34 last season, but did not get to haul any meat with it. Hopefully thgis year!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Tim. I love being able to pack in, stay a couple nights, and pack out with a harvest. I use the eberlestock blue widow. there is more room than your willing to carry! trust me. bottom line, whatever you decide. set it up to fit your body perfect and get out there!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i have used lowe alpine packs, and now i am using a just one from eberlestock.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used both and prefer the internal and the internal is more comfortable based on my experience. The internal seems to also work better off trail with less sticking out for limbs and vines to grab. The most I have every carried with one is 96lbs, but don't care to do that anymore. My internal frame is 85L and I have packed in planning for three weeks, but 2.5 weeks is as long as I have been out. The internal frame has also been used to pack out my elk several times, using a thick plastic bag to line the inside to keep it clean.

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used both, and each has advantages and disadvantages.
    The external frame packs will carry more weight more comfortably, especially odd shaped loads like game animals, than do internals. They are also generally cheaper to buy. they are cooler, allowing more air circulation across the back.
    Internal frames are much more stable on very rough or steep terrain. Easier to keep your balance hopping from rock to rock. They are lighter, empty, for a given size, and more comfortable with lighter loads, having better belts, shoulder pads, and back pads rather than the metal frames of the externals.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-