Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Muzzleloader Restrictions in Oregon

I've been drawn for the Applegate Muzzleloader hunt and need to educate myself on the weapon requirements. Being new to muzzleloading, I need to do it rather quickly. OR has some specific weapon requirements. I have a buddy with a Knight MK 95. Does anyone know if this muzzleloader fit the state requirements? I believe it's open sites, open ignition (not sure what that means), lead bullet or ball and no centerfire primer (not sure what that is either). Below are the regs from their website...
    Any advice or recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Muzzleloader

Scopes (permanent and detachable), and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only, except for visually impaired hunters who have a visual acuity of ≤ 20/200 with lenses or visual field of ≤ 20 degrees (a permit is required; please see page 86). Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

It is illegal to hunt with on-lead bullets, jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper, or felt patches are allowed.

It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season (See definition page 10 or regulations book).

Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In Oregon it's pretty much they want you to use old school Hawkins style. Open sights. There are a few updated models made by a couple companies. The tc northwest explorer is compliant. I'm not familiar with yours. If it takes 209 primers im sure its illegal. Best bet is to take it to a state game cop and check. If your in the Medford area maybe swing into black bird. The Gun department will know and be able to explain

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It pretty much means that when the action is closed and ready to fire. You need to able to see the cap. As in a sidelock, or early inline. Also, some newer inlines made for your state.

Modern inlines use 209 primers. You can't. You need the old style percussion caps, or musket caps. You need to use an all lead conical, round ball. Powerbelts can't be used. A bullet like the TC Maxi Ball is what you want.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    If there was a chart in the MRS in EHJ State by state, I would definitely keep it on hand. Kinda like the Draw deadline chart that is on my fridge right now.

States would be the Western 11...

Some fields would be : Scopes/open sights, Pellets, Pyrodex, inline, 209, Sabots, Min Caliber Elk, Min caliber Deer/antelope, Notes

Just a thought.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rocky View Post
    If there was a chart in the MRS in EHJ State by state, I would definitely keep it on hand. Kinda like the Draw deadline chart that is on my fridge right now.

States would be the Western 11...

Some fields would be : Scopes/open sights, Pellets, Pyrodex, inline, 209, Sabots, Min Caliber Elk, Min caliber Deer/antelope, Notes

Just a thought.
    It's funny you mention this, I am putting together a chart with this exact information on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    It's funny you mention this, I am putting together a chart with this exact information on it.
    Thanks DR. Can't wait to get my copy when you are done. Just kidding...Kinda.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you like,You should post a new thread with the info. It would be very use full to take a look at
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    If you like,You should post a new thread with the info. It would be very use full to take a look at
    And likely valid for one whole hunting season (if that), until the next state changes the rules!!
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    And likely valid for one whole hunting season (if that), until the next state changes the rules!!
    It could be a living document. For you and me anyways

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    It could be a living document. For you and me anyways
    Thumbs up!
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)