Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long term testing on a heavier arrow #############

I generally stick with a hunting arrow in the 380 - 400 range and have had great success with accuracy and penetration. However I can honestly say I have never stuck with a 400 + arrow for a long period of time. I will be going back to the FMJ's this off season, using them for everything from indoor target, fita, 3D and everything in between . Then sticking with them through next years hunting season. It will make for a 60 + grain weight increase. I'll admit I like the extra speed as well but I would like a long term test to see how the extra weight compares to all the other set ups I have used for any length of time.

The bows I will be using will be

Hoyt Carbon Matrix 70#
    Mathews Helim 70#
    and possibly the new PSE DNA 60#

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am doing same thing this year. Swapping from an Easton Redline coming in around 380G to The FMJ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ontarget7 did you shoot your bull in Colorado with a FMJ? I switched to FMJ's just for that reason, I hit an elk in the shoulder last year with a 400 grain arrow, and thought maybe that extra weight would help for future shots. You do give up the speed, but I think the penetration would be better.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Keep us posted, I see you are in Colorado now, congrats, how does the fam like it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did this a while back and found that penetration to me was a lot more important that the few fps I gained from a lower grain arrow. I personally do not like the FMJ but I went back to the ACC with a wrap and really have had good luck with them. My arrow weight is 440 grains and I get 86.5 of kinetic energy. Good luck on your test I look forward to the results! If I remember correctly it only takes 35 pds of kinetic energy to go thorough a whitetail.
    Last edited by labman; 10-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Very interested in what u find out. FMJs are not perfect(they bend so damn easy). But they r all I will use due to them being quite heavy.
    I shot this bull this year. U can see the entrance. Arrow went all the way through. I was aiming slightly back and a touch lower than impact. I was sure glad I had a heavy arrow and a fixed blade. He was dead in 11 yards.

Keep us posted

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    ontarget7 did you shoot your bull in Colorado with a FMJ? I switched to FMJ's just for that reason, I hit an elk in the shoulder last year with a 400 grain arrow, and thought maybe that extra weight would help for future shots. You do give up the speed, but I think the penetration would be better.
    No I arrowed that bull with my Destroyer 350 and a GT Velocity Pro 300 with 100 gr tip and 20 gr weight insert. Blew right through the front shoulder at 40 yards but did not go all the way through. Opposite shoulder was still intact.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Keep us posted, I see you are in Colorado now, congrats, how does the fam like it?
    Its going well and we are all liking the area. Can't wait to actually get out and do some serious scouting next year. Plenty of country to get away from the crowds and I have seen elk everywhere .. I will probably concentrate on the elk for the Aug/Sept hunt and the deer during the rut in the fall.

Thanks for asking
    Shane

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will keep you posted on some results along the way in this testing. Let me know if you have any request and I will try and fit them in

Thanks Shane

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well so far it has been all positive shooting the FMJ 340's @ 459 gr out of my Helim. I guess there is one negative, I can't get past 100 yards with my slider. LOL

Groups tend to be a touch better down range especially when the wind is blowing some, which is to be expected. The bow was fairly quiet already but now even more so, which is to be expected.

Honestly other than in an unmarked 3D event not really sure why I was actually wanting the extra speed. I will keep you posted as time goes by.