Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat Seasonings

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Meat Seasonings

I just ordered some seasonings from HiMountain Seasonings (advertiser in EHJ). Anybody use them? If so what do you use on what type of meat?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I just ordered some seasonings from HiMountain Seasonings (advertiser in EHJ). Anybody use them? If so what do you use on what type of meat?
    I can only vouch for there snack stick seasoning, have yet to order or try the other seasonings they offer. The snack stick stuff was awesome.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive used the summer sausage with 2/3 deer 1/3 hog. I buy a pork roast or "picnic meat" and grind that to mix in with the game Im using. The sausage is good as the other companies Ive tried. I like to mix the hi-temp cheese with it also. I also have the Hi-mtn. jalapeno summer sausage and a brat kit, but I haven't used them yet, I plan on using my elk for both of them. What did you order?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You just have to try a few types and flavors to figure out which you and your family likes best. Hi-Country in Lincoln Montana makes some great mixes also.

http://shop.hicountry.com/storefront.aspx
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been butchering and grinding all my game for 25 years or more. I also have a large commercial grinder that will do 300# per hour (I know its overkill. but I got a deal I couldn't pass up). I also use pork roast added to my burger at a 10% ratio and 25% in breakfast sausage. I am currently out of my normal spices and the company I usually bought from is gone.

I ordered Bratwurst Sausage starter kit, Original Breakfast Sausage & Prairie Sage Breakfast Sausage kit. After I finish making the brats, I smoke them in my smoker, then freeze them...ready then for the BBQ. I also am going to try some breakfast sausage using bacon ends & pieces...probably at 10%.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like you have this figured out pretty good CC. Ive been doing my own for probably 5 years, just spent the past 2 days processing. We tried some new stuff...Cabelas brand andouille sausage, Cabelas teriyaki snack sticks, and a few different jerkys. So far it all tastes good, but that's just trying it before it cooled coming out of the smoker, oven, or dehydrator. Couldn't get much smoke to come out of the wood I put in so they are a little mild in that category. Im curious to hear how those brats will turn out, when you smoke them do you cook them until they are done or just to get some flavor in them before you freeze them?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just an hour @ 150 degrees (with the smoker full). If you are not getting enought smoke, have you tried soaking the wood chips in water first?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think that was my main problem, I usually soak the chips, and I usually use Hickory. This time I was out of hickory so I used some dead branches off of my peach tree, didn't soak them because they were damp from the previous days showers, but I don't think they were soaked through enough to put off good smoke. I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've used Hi Mountain jerky kits on a few occasions. I don't like them at all. I found them all to taste pretty much the same and there just wasn't enough flavor to my liking, so I was always adding other stuff or increasing the dosage they recommend. Keep in mind this is for muscle jerky only, I haven't tried any stick or summer sausage stuff.

Below is a jerky recipe I got from a guy and have tried it out recently on waterfowl. It's MUCH better then any Hi Mountain I've tried, and will use this for my muscle jerky going forward. If you want a different taste, it's very easy to tweak it to your liking. FOr example, I couldn't fit all my meat in the oven in one night of cooking so for the second batch I added a bunch of chili powder and cumin. It turned out well too.

This is for 2lb of meat. Adjust accordingly for more or less. I always made sure I was on the heavy side of seasonings instead of the light.

2# meat, whole or ground (I usually use whole)
    2T Brown Sugar
    1T Red Pepper Flakes
    2T Worch. Sauce
    1T A1 Steak Sauce
    1T Liquid Smoke
    4T Soy Sauce
    1t Mustard Powder
    1t Onion Powder
    2t Salt
    1t Cracked or Black Pepper
    1t Garlic Powder
    1/4 Can of Beer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have my own jerky recipe which is very similiar to Whisky's. I only ordered the sausage & brat spices, so we'll see how they turn out.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley