Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Steiner binocular gimic?

I've tried to research this CAT (Color Adjusted Transmission) technology that steiner claims to make the deer pop out in heavy foliage and shadows and haven't found very much info on it. Has anyone used these binos side by side with another brand and found the higher contrast as a help or hindrance? What is the tradeoff for having the contrast adjusted? I know this so called technology has been out for a while now which is why I'm finding it odd that I can't find any info on how well it works, if at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ando_31 View Post
    I've tried to research this CAT (Color Adjusted Transmission) technology that steiner claims to make the deer pop out in heavy foliage and shadows and haven't found very much info on it. Has anyone used these binos side by side with another brand and found the higher contrast as a help or hindrance? What is the tradeoff for having the contrast adjusted? I know this so called technology has been out for a while now which is why I'm finding it odd that I can't find any info on how well it works, if at all.
    In my opinion, it is a bad idea. It does make the image favor those colors(browns and reds), but the problem is, when you favor one end of the spectrum, you lose on the other. The result is REDUCED contrast in many situations, and an annoying color cast on the image. IMO, optics should provide a neutral image that maximizes contrast across the spectrum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good points. The more I think about it the more it seems to be useful only in special situations and a hindrance in most situations. It sure would be nice to have one out in the field to test out on a muley bedded down on one of our clay buttes to see how it differs from opics with normal contrasts and similar price. Have you tried these out in the field bitter?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used the Predator Pro series, and everything looks red/brown.

The idea is that reds and browns will show up better in green/blue surroundings (like a lush forest maybe?), but what happens is you get reduced contrast between shades of brown and red, meaning that muley is going to blend into that clay butte even more than in a neutral bin.

I think you may want to look closely at offerings in that price range from Vortex and Zen Ray.