Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Airtaxi service for DIY moose hunt

I've fished Alaska once on the Kenai river but have never had the opportunity to hunt there. A buddy and I are finally in the early planning stages for a DIY alaskan moose hunt. Looking at 2016 or 2017 probably. I was just wondering if anyone had used or heard about any airtaxi companies up there with good reviews/results.

I've heard some positive things about 40 mile air but haven't heard much about any others. I'm not set on any particular style of hunt... Bush plane, float plane on a lake, or river float hunt would all be options.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 3 Posts
    I do not have any experience but have also heard good things about 40 mile air. I have a 2016 caribou hunt with them in the works. If successful, and God willing, we will do a moose hunt a couple years later.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 5 Posts
    you might want to look at willow air

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was poking around, a year or two ago, thinking of trying Caribou again with a kid, and heard good things about Arrowhead. We ended up chasing something else, so I have no first hand experience with them. The outfit I used the first time sold out, then the area had a herd crash, then the new owners went way up scale, so that is no help to you either.

http://www.arrowheadoutfitters.com/

They are more of a self guided set up vs. a pure transport service, but they may know of a reliable provider if in fact they won't do what you seek.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    you might want to look at willow air
    Great thanks for the tip! One of my buddies that went up there a couple years ago used Sportsmans air but it looks like their only options are fully guided for 18,000 or fully outfitted DIY for 8000. I have my own hunting/camping gear, I'm just looking for someone in a good area that can drop me off and pick me up

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCoy View Post
    I was poking around, a year or two ago, thinking of trying Caribou again with a kid, and heard good things about Arrowhead. We ended up chasing something else, so I have no first hand experience with them. The outfit I used the first time sold out, then the area had a herd crash, then the new owners went way up scale, so that is no help to you either.

http://www.arrowheadoutfitters.com/

They are more of a self guided set up vs. a pure transport service, but they may know of a reliable provider if in fact they won't do what you seek.
    Great thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JEandAsGuide View Post
    I do not have any experience but have also heard good things about 40 mile air. I have a 2016 caribou hunt with them in the works. If successful, and God willing, we will do a moose hunt a couple years later.
    Awesome, keep us posted on how the caribou hunt works out! I was thinking about doing the same thing but I decided to go for moose first

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    i have heard tons of great info about brooks range aviation out of Bettles. I know they have a great operation with caribou

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would contact AKAviator who has flown hunters around Alaska for many years and is very well connected to that industry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 11 Posts
    ^^all good advice! It's a trip you will remember and talk about for life. Plus have pictures to prove it

-)---> е
    Got him!