Thread: Ruger 1911

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ruger 1911

I didn't see any reviews on the Ruger 1911 here and, even though they are not new on the market, I wanted to put my experience with the commander sized SR 1911 to virtual paper.

Last October, with the news that we would be expecting a child in April, I realized all good dads need a .45 and it came down to a Glock 36 (I also have a Glock 26 as a daily carry) or commander sized 1911. I had looked at the Ruger 1911for a while and finally settled on it based on the value. Normally I don't buy a gun based on price but I reeeealllly wanted a 1911 and I just couldnt justify spending the price of a Colt or other pricier brand.

I put the 500th round through it last Sunday and I feel like it broke in well. Within the first hundred rounds, I had one failure to feed on hardball ammo but I have put about 50 rounds of gold dot hollow points through it without any malfunction. Of those hollow points, I loaded two mags and fired them as fast as I could and it still functioned perfectly.

Everyone on here probably knows what a 1911 looks like broken down but for the sake of social media, below are some pics of it during cleaning, put together, and the first 15 rounds I fired Sunday afternoon. The group about the facial area (6 rnds) was at 12 yds and the lower shots were at 25 (9 rnds).

Albeit not amanzing, this was certainly the best I have shot the gun so far but the point is, when I do my part, that gun shoots real well and as sweet as that trigger is, it took some getting used to after shooting Glocks for so long.

I have had no issues with the front sight shearing off as many others have. Maybe Ruger finally used up all the bad front sights. Was never a big deal for me as I am putting aftermarket night sights on it asap and I feel that it is plenty accurate. I would recommend this gun to anyone looking to buy a quality 1911 with a few bells and whistles but doesn't want to spend $1K.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	12343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	12344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	12342

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I bought one a little over a year ago and have about 250 rds down the barrel now with zero problems. If a guy wants a cheaper 1911 I think the ruger is one that needs to be looked at.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shooter For This Useful Post: