Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

unexpected trophy of a diff kind...

well, the super tag thing didnt go as i had planned. monday morning i found myself 80 yards from a really heavy bull. trees were thick but open enough, wether was bitterly cold; which was refreshing. elk were going crazy. after watching a bachelor group of small bulls walk by i heard that infamous deep gruntly bugle from behind me, so i took off running that direction trying to keep my balance on the steep slope. he would scream every time i did but i wasnt gaining ground but i knew he would be in a clearing soon so i kept on trucking. finaly when i heard him singing, he was close... i got down and began looking around and there he was! huge antlers, i didnt even count points, i didnt have to, he was huge! i waited and waited for a shot trying not to be seen by his cows. finaly he stopped inbetween two trees that gave me about a foot wide shot at his vitals. i shot... that sound and smell of that old .win 270 filled the air and i watched the bull react. he was confused but i couldnt get another shot in. he turned and followed his cows up the hill and if he wasnt hit then he had one heck of a funny walk. this was monday morning at 0930. is pent the rest of that day and every daylight hour until thursday noon looking for him. not alot of blood, no bull. they had walked into the thickest stuff i have ever walked through. i was cutting branches and ripping out bushes. i litteraly whent insane those few days. not even mag pies and crows gave me a clue as to where he was. i hope it was a bad shot and he made it for next years archery. i puked several times having known the biggest bull i have ever took aim at has slipped through another season. after a long drive home and alot of coffee i grabbed my fam and we headed out to the desert. about 6pm my son, (6) says.."dad, elk!!" i look and see cows 50 yards ahead so i hop out and sure enough there was a bull, a small 5x. i got back in the suv and both my kids said shoot it dad shoot it. i said its not big enough, then hunter, my kiddo said, are you kidding me???? he is huge". haha. then i realized where the true trophy in this hunt was. after several pictures he is hanging in my garage. soon to be hanging in his room. i guess trophies come in all kinds, all in all, not what i wanted... but what i needed. it was great!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is a bummer about the big bull. Like you said hopefully he is around for next year. I couldn't agree more with you sharing harvesting that bull with you young one must have been special. My boy is 2 months from being here and I can not wait to share something like that with him. Almost as much as him taking his first deer. Thanks for sharing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry to hear about the big bull but it sounds like you got a true trophy after all. Congrats!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    you know, the funny part is.. i passed up on a 320'sh bull and a couple easy 300 class during archery season. ha, there is a reason behind everything though i supose. after he was on the ground i walked up to it holding my son from trying to jump on it. i kept saying... why did i shoot this one, my son spoke up while sitting on the bulls back grabbing the antlers and said, cuz its really big dad. id do it again and again. never woulda said that before it happened.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 1 Post
    Sorry about your big bull. I had kind of the same thing happen to me this year. Shot one with my bow, decided to leave it for the night because it was almost dark and pouring rain.. Thought he went across the draw from me so I took the long way out as to not bump him and ended up I basically chased him all the way out and when I tracked him the next day he ended up crossing a creek and I lost his trail after that. Searched for a few days and put on a lot of miles. It's definitely a bummer but I'm glad you got to share the end result with your kid! That makes it so much better. My kid love to go hunting with me and my daughter who is 6 talks about all the great shots I made (hello ego boost!)on different animals all year long and says she can't wait to shoot a deer. Congrats on getting an elk!!! My freezer is still lacking elk meat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for sharing... Unfortunately we have to deal with that stuff with this sport.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    very true. ill post some pics on here soon

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats to bad about the big bull, but that sounds like it was a great experience with your kids. I have 2 boys, 4yrs old and 5 months old and I hope I can have an eperience like that with them one day. It sounds like you had a very eventful and exciting fall, congrats on filling your tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    its been the best fall ever! might not have gotten as big of a bull as i was after but it worked out way better this way. ive never had the op to hunt so many diff areas. the quality of bulls in some of these controled units are simply amazing. learned some new areas and think i found a new honey hole for deer hows everybody elses hunts goin??? and jenbickle... sorry about your elk!!!!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Sorry for the loss of the bull but what a great story!