Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

?? on your epuipment

Who out there gets the latest and greatest.
    Who hunts with what they have had for yearsor makes what they have work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Can you be more specific? Some folks have a ton of equipment. Is there a particular piece you are interested in?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No I am curious because I plan on going on a diy back
    country hunt, hopefully next year. While I have alot of things I feel I will need, just wondering if people get the best items they can or make what they have work. IE gas stoves ,tents,sleepingbags. Ontothe things you actually use to hunt, gun, bow,scope, binoculars.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a bunch of gear, most i have purchased slightly used on ebay and craiglist and gargae sales. The only new thing i bought was a 0' degree sleeping bag because i don't like mummys style bags.
    If your patient, u can get what you need for 1/2 off or better

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did buy a new range finder ...forgot about that ...leica 1600crf...but it was on sale....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I get the best that I can. Nothing is worse than packing junk up a hill and not having it work. If it is serviceable and reliable then your just looking at trades off such as ease or weight. Weight usually wins out in the end if its a tie. One thing, don't skimp on Glass like your Binocs, scope or spotting scope. Scrimp, save, sell other guns, but get the best glass that's out there. I prefer Leupold, it’s never ever let me down and the warranty is great but to each their own.

Ok, one note on my tent. I paid $16 for it on sale, it is a cheap dome style tent that only weighs a couple pounds! It is as light as some of the much more expensive tents, it works very well and does everything it needs to do. The reason I went with it is because I was noticing how much abuse my kids' play tents were getting and how well it held up, they were practically indestructible! I thought about it and went with it and haven't regretted it yet.

I pick up quite a bit of stuff on Craigslist. There was a brand new sleeping pad for sale for $20 the other day that is $90 at REI. Today I picked up a tripod for $15 that is $46 at Amazon.com. So you can find some deals here, put in a want ad.

Also, after I get back I take inventory and if there is anything that I didn't use I consider leaving it home next time. After awhile you won't have to do this, you will just "know" but when I go out with other people it amazes me some of the things that they think they need.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If what you have works then you don't need to buy anything unless the latest convenience is a major priority to you. Some new products are well worth it while others bring the old saying, "they just don't make em' like they used to", to mind.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm using a modern muzzleloader this year. Normally, my gun is from the early 50's, clothing from the 50's, Buck knife for the 70's. No need for binos or range finders. I guess I don't use the latest equipment, but it can't be called junk either if it's lasted this long.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not much of a backpack hunter anymore as I am over 70 now. But I do a lot of hiking when I hunt. I use a small daypack (brand don't really matter IMHO, just so its comfortable and will hold what you take). I also use a surplus GI web belt & canteen with the issue suspenders. Been using it for years and I really like it. Got rid of 2 pieces of optics (binos & rangefinder) and replaced it with one...a Sworo combo. It has really been great for the last 2 years and makes a lot of sense as I am a rifle hunter and don't need the special RF made for bow hunters. I carry a number of safety items...a few light sticks, floro red tape, SPOT,small butane cig lighter, spare pair of sox, rain gear, rope, space blanket, spare set of contact lenses and Rx glasses and some energy bars. Notice I left out a compass...my watch has one builtin. I also carry one of the new Bushnell GPS return instruments (can't remember the name right now) which really is simple and helps you navigate back to anywhere you set into it) Pretty cheap too@ around $50.

Thats about it for safety stuff. I also carry a small folding saw, knife sharpener and a spare larger knife. Everything alltogether probably weighs less than 20#.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I to have bought from ebay and other sites. I all ways wait for a sale or close out. Or I bye used. U can fined good used gear. If U watch and are patient.