Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nebraska muley/whitetail???

Hey guys!!!
    My brother and I are fortunate to have a family friend in Nebraska that does not hunt and really could care less about the deer in the place!!! So we are headed up there in about a month with tags in our pockets!! The landowner knows that there are both whitetail and Miley's on the place, but they really don't know much as far as size! It is north of Thedford on the Sandhills! Mostly just wondering what size deer we might run into? Neither of us have ever harvested a muley before so that is what we would really like to try for!!! Figured some of you may have been close to there before and could give us an idea of what our expectations could be!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    you should encounter some nice mulies in that area. I have hunted in that area in the past and have seen mulies up to 180" and whitetails up to 160". The deer density is not as high as other areas of the state but if you hunt hard you will get a nice deer. Just be prepaired to hike several miles per day and do alot of glassing from hill tops. The mulie population in that area has been on the decline for a few yrs now but there are still some big bucks around there. be ready to shoot out to 400yds. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to husker hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It could depend on if anyone has hunted it for awhile. I have seen several ranches kinda get hunted out of trophies because they let everyone in and shoot anything they want. I was fortunate for several years to be one of few that got to hunt the ranch that I hunt and we passed up bucks most people would die for knowing that we might have the chance at him the next season. You might also get lucky and get a crack at one that the neighbors might run off their land. If you don't see anything opening day. Don't get discouraged. You might go back the very next day and see a big buck that was spooked from somewhere else. I used to hunt a spot that hardly any deer would hang out on and then after a week of rifle season, you could go back there and see lots of deer because they got pushed. Just my two cents. Good luck. Hope you find a good one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The ranch hasn't been hunted in the past 5-6 years a far as I know!! I sure would love to see some big ole deer, but I just don't want to get my hopes to high, if that area doesn't normally grow them that big!!! We are planning on bringing our walking boots, and will start practicing some longer shots as we are not accustomed to long shots!!! Thanks for the input, and keep it coming!!! Never can get enough info!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know there are big deer in that area. I would say an average size of a good one is 160 class on muley and 140 class on whitetail, but like husker hunter said there are big ones there. I've hunted the sandhills since I was old enough to ride a long with my dad so about 30 years and have seen some big ones and we've got some big ones and there are years where you don't see much. I hope you have good luck, I'm glad you found a spot. It's getting harder and harder all the time to get permission with people like Cabela's and some of the other hunting shows you see on t.v. paying to hunt those places.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Booner For This Useful Post: