Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ditto on the cabelas xpg. I have a marmot hydrogen 30 bag. One night the temp dropped down to teens and thought i was going to freeze. Next night stuff bag inside of bivy and stayed toasty warm all night. Make sure that your bivy doesnt cover your face or it can cause condensation between the bivy and your bag.

Thanks
    Meant to add that I also have used the fleece liners, They work and are cheaper but feel like the bivy worked alot better for me. Mine I think is 11 oz.

Thanks
    + 1 on the tigoat. also... i have a couple of the military issued bivi sacks that work great too.

Thanks
    Liners & bivies work..I alway have a few disposable hand warmers on hand; 'bombing' the bag w/hand warmers really helps and nasty cold nights. I am in the 3-172nd Mountain Infantry BN and we sleep in the cold regularily. Last winter I bombed my bag (in bivy bag, no tent) on a -12F night and was toasty while others bitched about freezing their stones off.
    Scouts Out!

Thanks
    I got a couple of Thinsulate poncho liners, I always have one with my bag. It's a two-part bag and rated to 30 degrees with both parts and lower with clothes on, but my feet get cold when it's in the 30s.

The poncho liner helps out a lot, the only problem is that it likes to slide around inside. On the upside, I can pull it out and use it separately when I just want to wram up and I can leave my bag part way open on cool, but not cold, nights.

Gotta try the bivy, though.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Banned
    Thanks
    It is very hard to add warmth to a sleeping bag. The boyscout trick of sleeping in your underroos should always be used. Though I must admit it is hard to strip down to your skivvies to get into a sleeping bag when it's below 30 degrees. Especially if that bag is cold.

Sleeping in clothes removes that airspace and kills bag warmth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Sleeping in clothes removes that airspace and kills bag warmth.
    There are differing opinions on this. In my experience, I always stay warmer in the bag with extra layers on, as long as I don't have so much bulk in the bag that it starts to compress the loft of the insulation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    There are differing opinions on this. In my experience, I always stay warmer in the bag with extra layers on, as long as I don't have so much bulk in the bag that it starts to compress the loft of the insulation.
    I've wondered about this.....Two different opinions on it already.

My bag is not a true mummy bag. It's the Mystic SL from BA, think they call it a rectangular bag. It seems I have plenty of air space in that bag. I did sleep in my clothes as well as layered up on the merino tops. Nothing too bulky. Although if I was to give that liner a try, that is a mummy fit.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I always freeze in a mummy bag when I am dressed, even if it's in long underwear.

Superman underoos and I am all set!

Thanks
    +1 on VTBwana's reccomendation. I do the same thing and it works slick. A weeks worth of handwarmes weighs alot less than the heavier bag will.