Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chsdaddy View Post
    I guided a TV show hunt for a show that is no longer on the air. What I found anoying was how the footage gets edited. During the hunt they filmed all of our discussions and the host kept repeating everything I was saying. When the show was aired it was edited to make it sound like everything we were doing was the hosts idea! I though he was just slow!

I though it would be cool when the outfitter told me who he booked but it was a royal PITA. The camera guys are the unsung heros of that business. I hiked those guys 10-12 miles a day at 10,000' and the camera crap weighed more than my pack.

From the guides perspective I think most of the shows have given hunters a false sense that every bull that hits the ground comes running to a bugle and scores 350. But no one would watch a show where people take there guns and bows for a hike, and they sure couldn't sell commercial time for all the gadets required to be successful now. Fred Bear killed dang near every animal that walks with a red flannel shirt on. And the first outfitter I worked for smoked 3 packs a day. When I asked him if he was afraid the elk would smell the smoke he said, "All ya gotta do is walk away from it, and you'll know you got the wind in your face boy." Not exactly healthy logic, or logic that sells scent lock, but its sound logic!
    That's no lie about the hosts stealing your words/ideas. Paul Newsom did that to me 10 years ago when he still had his show, post Mossy Oak. I worked for Fair Game TV as a camera man in 2006. It was fun but tough work too. The antelope in my avatar was an episode of Fair Game that aired on Versus in 2009. I'm sure some of the most famous shows get some free hunts but in my experience, the best most shows get is a discount from an outfitter, still nice though. In TV hosts defense, the fastest way to shut someone up (guest hunter, guide, etc) is to stick a video camera in their face, works like clockwork! haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't miss paying for cable after reading this thread, I mainly watched hunting shows but haven't had cable for a year and a half due to the things listed here. The list why most of these shows suck is a mile long. I don't blame them for trying, I'm just not interested in paying for that. They also give the antis ammo for their side of the debate when they go crazy over a kill. To end on a positive note...hats off to the Eastmans and a few others that do it right!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Harvest.... You harvest row crops. You kill deer, turkeys, elk, etc..
    Yes harvest corn, kill animals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    when they make the $ sound.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow...reading this, it seems we all agree on this...So; why don't we see more realistic DIY shows? I basically pay for the Outdoor channel for Eastmans, Team Elk and On you own Adventures... the rest just suck. I can't understand how some folks 'farm' for deer; plantic Biologic this and Whitetail Clover that, sit in a blind on a crop field and not feel like they are shooting livestock!?! hell, they raised it just like a heifer.
    On my terminology peeve: A Sabot is not a 'sa-Bot'..it is a 'Say-boh'. The word is french for shoe...and I have shot enough APFSDS-T 'Say-boh' from the M1A1 Abrahms tank to know how to pronounce it.
    Scouts Out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    When "professionals" on tv use double negatives and say stuff like "ain't no way" or "thunder chicken". I feel like anything Ted Nugent or Michael Waddell's crew says gets pretty annoying, they are just being goofy trying to make someone laugh, begging for attention. Yeah it might be funny the first time, but that's it. Ha, good thread! This is why Eastman's and Jim Shockey are the best on TV!
    Yeah, that's 'No Guff', Shockey seems like one of the good guys.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you want to see the highest quality hunting shows produced anywhere look no further than www.huntersvideo.dk

No bs, respect for the animal, no long range, no bubba.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anything Latt Durrance or Dean Taylor say annoy the heck out of me. Also, the word 'harvest' drives me up a wall.

The only two shows that haven't annoyed me are Long Range Pursuit and On Your Own Adventures.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    They all suck, that one that had the wounded warrior SEAL on it was good. Then it turned to crap as they just started hunting Texas high fence.

I'd like to see Todd Hodnett do a hunting show, but I guess when your busy as a defense contractor making millions on sniper math it's hard to get away.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Or Chris Costa. He's a good TV personality with his shooting training series.