Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    Despite how much I like the guy I've got to throw Shockey under the bus on this one... "I trust my life to my Benjamin 3000 Air rifle and so can you!".................. Really? Trusting one's life to something is a pretty serious claim don't think I'd let my life hang in the balance on an air rifle/bow/clothing, etc. Just making money I know but still... pretty audacious.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good thread. I agree with about 95 percent of what everyone else dislikes. Some tv hosts sell out and make ridiculous claims they know are false, and others just don't show any respect with how they speak about animals and hunting. I know this thread is about terminology but lets be honest, pretty much everything discussed in this thread started with tv hunting (or at least the first time I heard all of this terminology was on tv, maybe the hosts just picked it up from other people).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Harvest.... You harvest row crops. You kill deer, turkeys, elk, etc..
    When I was younger, I heard that this was the term to use so you didn't offend a non hunter, I used this instead of shot or killed. Now there are too damn many people to worry about offending so I just use kill, shoot, droped the hammer, etc..... As more time goes by, I find the anti's are becoming more of a thorn in my side

Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great thread. I hope the TV folks are reading it.
    I agree with most of what's been said. I've about quit watching the Outdoor channel's hunting shows, since they seem to be more about making "stars" of the "TV personalities" and marketing the "personalities" and sponsoring products than about hunting.
    I'm tired of the artificial macho of the shows. Shows named "Bone Hunter", and such just tell me I don't want to watch.
    One thing not yet mentioned that gets me is "mass". Often I see on the hunting shows a hunter will kill what to me looks like an average size deer or elk. As they walk up on it, usually for the third or fourth time to get good film, they say "look at the mass", as if that makes up for it being an average animal.
    For that matter, all the scoring to me is pointless. So often TV hunters will be looking at an animal and say "it looks like about a 150, or 350 or whatever depending on species. When they kill one, they oooh and awww over the rack and points, but never mention how much it weighs. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, and could care less about the rack score. I've never found a good recipe for antlers.
    I do enjoy Eastman's shows, Jim Shokey, and Solo Hunting Adventures, although they are clearly not hunting "solo" since there is a camera crew with them.
    Last edited by EdD270; 10-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    "There's an elk on my buddies land that I call gay elk, he flat out will not respond to a cow call ever. He'll come into a bugle though and he only hangs out with other bulls"

I don't care who you are that is funny!
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 10-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
    Great thread. I hope the TV folks are reading it.
    I agree with most of what's been said. I've about quit watching the Outdoor channel's hunting shows, since they seem to be more about making "stars" of the "TV personalities" and marketing the "personalities" and sponsoring products than about hunting.
    I'm tired of the artificial macho of the shows. Shows named "Bone Hunter", and such just tell me I don't want to watch.
    One thing not yet mentioned that gets me is "mass". Often I see on the hunting shows a hunter will kill what to me looks like an average size deer or elk. As they walk up on it, usually for the third or fourth time to get good film, they say "look at the mass", as if that makes up for it being an average animal.
    For that matter, all the scoring to me is pointless. So often TV hunters will be looking at an animal and say "it looks like about a 150, or 350 or whatever depending on species. When they kill one, they oooh and awww over the rack and points, but never mention how much it weighs. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, and could care less about the rack score. I've never found a good recipe for antlers.
    I do enjoy Eastman's shows, Jim Shokey, and Solo Hunting Adventures, although they are clearly not hunting "solo" since there is a camera crew with them.
    The deer I shot this year was the size of a cow. Lol when I picked up the meat from the meat plant, they said it was the biggest deer they had ever processed. I was very proud!! Lol. I agree that it's only ever about the rack in the shows. That's why I enjoy watching doe hunting as funny as it sounds because its all about the meat. Don't get me wrong, I love watching shows with huge bucks and bulls too but I get disgusted when a hunter walks up on the animal and is upset over his rack with it not being as big ad he thought or having a point broke off. The deer I shot this year I labeled a cull deer but it didn't make me any less happy about taking him. I had tried hard for a few years to get him and he was an old, smart deer. It was very rewarding to get him and he is by far my favorite deer I have has euro mounted.
    The hunting show that I work for I am allowed to kind of do my own thing and so far I have enjoyed doing that. They are from Oklahoma so they are used to hunting from a tree stand. I take my camera and I go by myself. My footage may be a little shakey and not as professional looking but I want to show what it's actually like to hunt out west and not only the challenges we face but also the levels of frustration and everything. I just want it to be real.. Not sitting in a tree stand for 5 minutes and shooting a 200" deer that falls dead in its tracks with a bow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a friend in Kansas that owns a ranch that some tv guys wanted to lease for whitetail hunting. They leased it and started hunting it. Some big tv hunting names started hunting the ranch and filming. Now this ranch was covered up with big deer and you can but corn down (legal) by your stand to kinda help the big boys along.....EASY hunting but when you saw the show you would think these guys scouted, put in food plots, hung stands, patterned the deer, put in hundreds of hours , ect. ect. but all they did was have my friend put up a feeder under a stand and start filming without showing the corn. The ranch pretty much got shot out of big (160 plus) deer and the tv guys found another ranch in another county. Last year I hunted with my buddy at his ranch and a well known outdoor writer was there and he was hunting for free but he had to put an artical in a hunting mag. in exchange for being there.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    "There's an elk on my buddies land that I call gay elk, he flat out will not respond to a cow call ever. He'll come into a bugle though and he only hangs out with other bulls"

I don't care who you are that is funny!
    When I was in high school we went to the USDA sheep experiment station in Dubois Idaho on a tour for Agriculture Education field trip.

They had a whole pen of what they called MOR rams. Male oriented rams! Gay sheep! In their own defense the scientist took us there last, so he didn't have to deal with our antics for the rest of the tour.

Still cracks me up to this day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    many non hunters will ask if I "caught anything" while hunting...

I can handle "harvest" but I don't "catch stuff" when I hunt...

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I catch stuff when I hunt; Lyme disease and ticks!